• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Birds in flight - CF4 focus button

John Harper

Hi There

Following on from Don`s comments regarding focus setup for birds in flight, Ihad set my camera up to use CF4-3 to have the autofocus activated on the * button. It does take some getting used too but i did have a couple of successful shots, so i believe it is worth sticking with to get confident in its use.

The hardest thing i found was remembering to keep your finger on the * button to keep focus lock. I would often find as i went to press the shutter button i would let go of the * button and the focus would stop, and the bird would drift out as AI servo was no longer trying to track it.

Still we live and learn, and its all good practice so its not a waste of time.

I attach 2 photos one of a eagle owl flying to glove in a demonstration at the West Sussex Falconry Centre. The 2nd one at the same display but of a young rescued Kestrel again flying to glove.

Tech details

1st shot EOS 1DMKIIN - 300mm F4L ISO 400 1/2000 @ f4.0

2nd shot EOS 1DMKIIN - 400mm F5.6L ISO 800 1/2500 @ f5.6

Just a word about the 400mm f5.6L - I absolutely love this lens It's quite an old design and doesn't have IS but it is fantastically sharp and light in weight. Optically its super sharp wide open and has quick autofocus too. Highly recommended for these sort of shots.

John

eagleowl1.jpg

kestrel1.jpg

This seems to have worked out quite well for you, John!

You're right - this setup does take a little getting used to, but I suspect you'll prefer it once you've spent enough time with it. Of memory serves correctly, the 400/f5.6 was a favorite lens of Arthur Morris early on, so you're in good company.

I really like the first shot. The technicals of the shot (exposure, focus, etc.) are quite good, but what really attracts me is the composition. It is the opposite of the usual rule - leave space in front of a flying bird, or moving animal, to convey the action - but this image seems very effective by doing the opposite. The bird's wing position/shape give it a very dynamic, satisfying feel in the frame.

Good work!

John Harper

This seems to have worked out quite well for you, John!

You're right - this setup does take a little getting used to, but I suspect you'll prefer it once you've spent enough time with it. Of memory serves correctly, the 400/f5.6 was a favorite lens of Arthur Morris early on, so you're in good company.

I really like the first shot. The technicals of the shot (exposure, focus, etc.) are quite good, but what really attracts me is the composition. It is the opposite of the usual rule - leave space in front of a flying bird, or moving animal, to convey the action - but this image seems very effective by doing the opposite. The bird's wing position/shape give it a very dynamic, satisfying feel in the frame.

Good work!

Don

Thank you for the comments and the advice on the setup in the 1st place, I am hoping to get used to it and i feel it will help in my other field of interest, taking aircraft flying display pictures which share similar problems with following focus.

The composition on the 1st shot was not really planned, its just that by the time i had the camera focused on the face, he had drifted over to the L-H side of the frame. But as always with practice i hope to catch them earlier in their flightpath!

Thanks again for the comments, critiques and inspiration all the contributors to OPF give.

Its a great place to learn!

John