• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

About IPTC metadata

Doug Kerr

There is a lot of well-deserved interest in the use of IPTC metadata in our image files. There are couple of wrinkles that I thought would be worth mentioning.

Metadata

Metadata means "data about data". In our files, the data itself is the image data, and the metadata tells us various things about it.

In fact, the so-called Exif information is actually Exif metadata; the Exif data it describes is the image data (Exif actually refers to the entire file format we usually encounter for JPEG and TIFF files).

IPTC

IPTC refers to the International Press Telecommunications Council which, in collaboration with the American Newspaper Association, has developed various structures for data interchange in connection with journalistic and kindred enterprises.

What we speak of as IPTC metadata is data that describes a "document" (in our case, a digital image), not in the sense of information about exposure, shutter speed, and the like but rather such information as the identity of the "author", copyright information, the location at which the image was taken, and so forth.

IPTC Metadata

Two different data structures have been standardized by the IPTC for the placement of IPTC metadata items in an image file.

The earlier one, formally called the IPTC IIM (Information Interchange Model) format, somewhat parallels the data structure for Exif metadata. It is now often spoken of as the "legacy IPTC format".

The more modern structure is formally called the IPTC Core XMP Schema format (often IPTC XMP for short). As the name would suggest, it is an adaptation of the XML data structure doctrine to this particular need.

Broadly, there is direct correspondence between most of the "data items" (sometimes called "fields") defined for the two formats, although in many cases there are small differences in the specific item names and in their precise definitions. Thus the item "By-line (Author)" in the IPTC IIM structure is almost directly equivalent to the item "Creator" in the IPTC XMP structure.

Some name ambiguity

In any number of contexts the IPTC IIM data structure is referred to as "IPTC" data, while the IPTC XMP data structure is referred to as "XML" data. You can see how this can lead to some ambiguity.

Duality

It is not only possible but fairly common for a given file to contain IPTC metadata in both IIM and XML forms. When this happens, data items than can essentially exist in both forms are not necessarily present in both forms.

Software behavior

Because of this duality of data structures, programs handling IPTC metadata have a number of behaviors. Some older programs only recognize IPTC IIM metadata. (The OPanda IExif program, a helper for browsers that will display the Exif metadata and the "IPTC" metadata in an image displayed in the browser, only recognizes the IPTC IIM metadata.) Many modern programs recognize both, but handle the duality in different ways.

Some will read both IPTC IIM and IPTC XMP metadata, and if there is data in the "comparable" data items in both forms, will report only one of them, with a label arbitrarily drawn from one structure or another. (Most commonly, the XML data item is given precedence and is reported with the XML label.)

Some specialized programs (like ExifTool) will separately report both, with the proper label in each case.

As to writing IPTC metadata to a file (as in an image editor), many programs give the user the choice to write the IPTC metadata in IIM data, in XML form, or both.

An option sometimes available is to write all data items accommodated in both structures only in the IPTC XMP form, but also to write those items only existing in the IPTC IIM structure in that form (so they are not lost altogether).

My current practice

My current practice for files I am preparing to upload to my host site, including those intended for access from posts in these forums, and those I send to people on disks or e-mail to newspapers and the like, is to place the data in both forms.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doug Kerr

As a collateral issue, it should be noted that information other than IPTC Core metadata can be stored in an image file in XMP form.

For example, Photoshop (at least in its "normal" configuration) transcribes into XMP form many of the data items of the image file's Exif metadata, along with any incoming IPTC items (IIM or XMP) and IPTC items defined by the user within Photoshop for inclusion in output files (typically copyright information).

Best regards,

Doug

Andrew Rodney

Additionally, applications like Lightroom store keywords assigned into rendered and Raws. In a DNG, I can see all the parametric edits produced in LR as well. Aside from stuff like collections, flags and so forth, it appears that most of the metadata gets written into the document itself which is kind of cool.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
As a collateral issue, it should be noted that information other than IPTC Core metadata can be stored in an image file in XMP form.

For example, Photoshop (at least in its "normal" configuration) transcribes into XMP form many of the data items of the image file's Exif metadata, along with any incoming IPTC items (IIM or XMP) and IPTC items defined by the user within Photoshop for inclusion in output files (typically copyright information).
Doug and Andrew,

These side-car files in XMP are a pain! When the data is actually written into the image file itself, then it's more convenient. Today, with single files having all the IPTC data, when to side-care files get created and is the data also in the picture file at the same time?

Asher

Andrew Rodney

Sidecar files are a pain! That’s why I use DNG. But I just checked a CR2 file that I didn’t convert but added a keyword in LR, opened it in ACR then rendered in Photoshop and saw the keyword IN the subsequent image. So I think, unless I did something wrong, the sidecar file gets the XMP data along with the Raw when one loads it into ACR and it gets then written into the resulting rendered image, which is neat.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,
Doug and Andrew,

These side-car files in XMP are a pain! When the data is actually written into the image file itself, then it's more convenient. Today, with single files having all the IPTC data, when to side-care files get created and is the data also in the picture file at the same time?

I have not been talking at all about "sidecar" files, but rather only about data in XMP form embedded in, for example, JPG files.

As I discussed in my other thread here, the IPTC metadata embedded in JPG files (for example) can be in one (or both) of two forms, the "legacy" form (IPTC IIM) or the "IPTC Core" form, which uses the XMP structure.

Best regards,

Doug