• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News: Lock mode button for Canon: Is there bang for the buck?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
diallock2.jpg
]

Canon Product Advisory: here

Canon's new Mode lock button can be yours for $100! While other companies, like Pentax and Nikon, built this into the mode dial, we Canon loyalists have to pay extra for what should be considered repairing a design flaw. Or is my frustration unique finding that the mode button shitted from Manual to Tv during a shoot!

So who is going to update their cameras?

I for one! Really I love my canons and welcome the fix. But $100? That's steep!

Asher

Asher, I had two reactions when I first saw this fix a couple days ago. First was, "alright!", and the second, when I saw the price was, "no way!" I'll continue to use a bit of vinyl electric tape to keep my mode dial locked on manual. The tape doesn't last too long, but at less than a penny per application, the body will be a museum piece before total cost of tape reaches even a small fraction of the cost of the lock.

And then, thinking about it some more, I realized that this lock is really a fix for a design flaw. Asking owners to pony up for the fix is a bit arrogant, don't you think?

I think I read that it would be available only in Japan for the time being, so it won't a decision to wrestle with any time soon.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Interesting development.

I personally do not have any problem inadvertently changing the shooting mode on EOS digital cameras.

I would likely find a full-time release button a nuisance, but perhaps not.

Now, if Canon would introduce a release button that could be, for example by depressing it and turning it, disabled, I would think that very nice.

I have changed shutter release buttons in EOS digital cameras, and I would not do it for $100.00. (Free, perhaps, but not for $100.00.)

Best regards,

Doug

Nill Toulme

Happily they are not offering this for the T2i, as I would be tempted. I'll stick (so to speak) with gaffer's tape.

Nill

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher, I had two reactions when I first saw this fix a couple days ago. First was, "alright!", and the second, when I saw the price was, "no way!" I'll continue to use a bit of vinyl electric tape to keep my mode dial locked on manual. The tape doesn't last too long, but at less than a penny per application, the body will be a museum piece before total cost of tape reaches even a small fraction of the cost of the lock.

I find the moving of the dial a real issue every single day! It's a design flaw IMHO. The tape is not a solution for me as I do change often between manual and Av. Those are all I need.

I think I read that it would be available only in Japan for the time being, so it won't a decision to wrestle with any time soon.

It's supposed to be avalable in US service centers from December 2010!

Contact Information for Inquiries:
Canon U.S.A., Inc.
Canon Customer Support Center
Phone: 1-800-OK-CANON
1-800-652-2666
TTD: 1-866-251-3752
E-mail: carecenter@cits.canon.com
Support options and hours of operation: http://www.usa.canon.com/support

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
All the time

It's so annoying to spend $2500 plus tax for a camera and have photos that are useless because you knock the dial into the wrong mode. It doesn't take much. I have more than one 5d2 so it's more than $100 for me but I think necessary to do.

Chris Kettle

I'l love to dial mode lock for my 550D, but I don't think that I'm will to fork out $100 yet.
Maybe I'll change my mind when I end up with some ruined photos because the dial shifted on me :)

My cheap Canon XT doesn't even have the locking mode button, Nor would I wouldn't pay for there design flaw. if enough people complain about it they might drop the price.

Don Ferguson Jr.

My cheap Canon XT doesn't even have the locking mode button, Nor would I wouldn't pay for there design flaw. if enough people complain about it they might drop the price.

Yea ,I so want a 7D :) and will get one when it comes down a little more .I have a XT as well but once I put it in AV of which I use most the time it stays . I do not see how it gets knocked out easy.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Cody,

Are we thinking of the same Canon?

Best regards,

Doug