• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News: Strobist: Boot Camp II

Jerome Love

Begins tomorrow! If you're an experienced pro or avid amateur I highly recommend partaking in this free online instruction. If you're unfamiliar with Strobist, I highly recommend checking out the blog. It's greatly increased my comfort with camera flash and lighting in general. A good place to start would be the original lighting boot camp.

The Boot Camp is a series of "assignments" given by David Hobby to challenge your lighting ideas!

Hope to see your photos in the flickr pool!

Jerome

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Begins tomorrow! If you're an experienced pro or avid amateur I highly recommend partaking in this free online instruction. If you're unfamiliar with Strobist, I highly recommend checking out the blog. It's greatly increased my comfort with camera flash and lighting in general. A good place to start would be the original lighting boot camp.

The Boot Camp is a series of "assignments" given by David Hobby to challenge your lighting ideas!

Hope to see your photos in the flickr pool!

Jerome
The Strobist is a good source of information and the company, MidWest Photo Exchange has an excellent reputation. The DVD's sold are a reasonable price. I'm on their mailing list and always learn something every time I visit. There's enough free info to be helpful. Unlike the sites of other "gurus", it hasn't drifted too far from fun and help to being crass and arrogant. I think it's worthwhile and should be looked at.

However, when you get the good pictures, show them here too! :)

Asher

Mike Shimwell

The Strobist is a good source of information and the company, MidWest Photo Exchange has an excellent reputation. The DVD's sold are a reasonable price. I'm on their mailing list and always learn something every time I visit. There's enough free info to be helpful. Unlike the sites of other "gurus", it hasn't drifted too far from fun and help to being crass and arrogant. I think it's worthwhile and should be looked at.

However, when you get the good pictures, show them here too! :)

Asher

Couldn't agree more - a good way to get you thinking about how you might light things (says I, the man who loves available light:)). David has consistently offered really helpful and instructive advice and not wrapped it up in a 'pay me money to get the real answer' type of hype.

Asher, I'm not sure what other guru's you are referring to, though I could think of a few, but probably best to remain silent:)

Mike

Clayton Lofgren

I have just acquired a bunch of Strobist equipment, so will learning some new tricks, even if I am an old dog. I got my stands and umbrellas in Caracas, but the strobes, radio triggers, etc., came from Gadget Infinity. They seem to be the other big benificiary of the strobist movement, selling most of the low price items recomended on the blog. I found them very good to deal with. The equipment is not the highest quality, but the price is right.

Rachel Foster

I've met some folks from Midwest Photo Exchange, and bought my 5dII from them. I was quite pleased.

I wish I could participate but I'll be at Interlochen with my children for the next three weeks.

Asher Kelman

Too bad the Strobist blog is not trustworthy!
Hi Will,

I am taken back by your assertion. I have found the Strobist interesting and useful although I have not bought anything yet. I like to think the best of folk and personally don't know of why you might say such a thing. If you purchased something and it did not arrive or work then they surely will remedy the situation. So perhaps your comment might be reconsidered in that light. I say that while struggling to catch up sending out images I promised :)

Asher

Will Thompson

They are untrustworthy because the used this photo:

unclelee2.jpg

For a previous boot camp promo on there blog without authorization.

You will now notice they added a watermark after I brought this incident to the attention of the staff of R. Lee Ermey dot com!

Here is the page that R. Lee Ermey sells his autographed photos including this one "The Gunny wants YOU!":

http://www.rleeermey.com/autographs.php

You would think that a photographers blog would be sensitive to this!

(I am not in any way connected to the photograph mentioned, just a fan and have met Mr. Ermey at many a charity event)

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

Will,

You make a good point.

Still, the picture is no longer on the Strobist website. Everyone trespasses at some time. I still find there is no reason to question the Strobist being trustworthy in the photographic advice given for free, the products sold or the bootcamp exercises offered.

"Unstrustworthy" implies a long term property like height or color of eyes and for that, I assert, we have no supporting evidence to use here. Right now, let's just employ this as a lesson for what we should do. For editorial purpose, we often quote a photograph but always try to attribute the picture to the photographer. That's the respect we want for our own work!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Mike,

who or what is R Lee Ermey?

Mr. Ermey is a former member of the U. S. Marine Corps, for a while a Drill Instructor. He retired, owing to injuries, at the rank of Staff Sergeant, and was later given an "honorary" promotion to the rank of Gunnery Sergeant. As a result, as is traditional for holders of that respected rank, he styles himself as "(the) Gunny".

Since his retirement, has has appeared in a number of motion pictures and television dramas, and has hosted a military discussion program in television. He sells photos of himself, often in traditional poses for a Drill Sergeant, and sells military mementos and the like.

I believe Will Thompson has met him on the occasion of some public appearances, and Will seems to be a fan of his.

Best regards,

Doug

Jerome Love

Thanks guys! I KNEW I should have cropped it closer! For those of you who didn't see the write-up, here is the photo I entered.

3649656897_a612c35106.jpg

The second assignment comes July 1, but you can preview it in the strobist flickr group.

Asher Kelman

Thanks guys! I KNEW I should have cropped it closer! For those of you who didn't see the write-up, here is the photo I entered.

3649656897_a612c35106.jpg

The second assignment comes July 1, but you can preview it in the strobist flickr group.
This photograph does not need to be cropped but maybe to fulfill the rules of the competition, it might! In this portrait, the background provides the milieux of his life. So frankly, I'd have no complaints.

So Jerome, could you crop it as if you had a second chance? I'd like to see how it would show.

Is the text David, the Strobist gives as you provided?

Asher