• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Christmas is over

Jarmo Juntunen

So everyone from the local Christmas market is heading back.

_img1280.jpg

Jarmo Juntunen

Thank you guys! A lot of the merchants were Central European so I'm guessing some return home, others move to another location in Finland. These kiosks are local so they don't travel far. As for the fire extinguisher, I can't remember a rainier December. I'm sure nothing would've caught fire anyway. So much for White Christmas.

Can you give us some background on Christmas Markets?

Growing up in the US and living there until 2000, I'm used to elaborate lighting displays, but not to the downtown booths seen in northern European cities. Are the people who sell from them local (the stands with local hot drinks and sausages sound local) or gypsies of some sort, as you suggest? And where do the booths go when Christmas is over?

Here are some shots from the Christmas market in Brussels a few weeks ago. I saved them 3000x2000 so I'll just include links:

here and here.

scott

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
European Christmas markets are an old tradition. It's a great way of putting away winter's blues. We don't have it in the USA.

The recent attack on such a Christmas market in Berlin, (with the stolen Polish truck), took advantage of this community joy and innocence. Interestingly, the market reopened with defiance and the folk insisted that hatred will not be reciprocated and the nature of German society will not be degraded so easilly!

Few people have learned so well from history as the Germans.

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

Growing up in the US and living there until 2000, I'm used to elaborate lighting displays, but not to the downtown booths seen in northern European cities. Are the people who sell from them local (the stands with local hot drinks and sausages sound local) or gypsies of some sort, as you suggest? And where do the booths go when Christmas is over?

Here are some shots from the Christmas market in Brussels a few weeks ago. I saved them 3000x2000 so I'll just include links:

here and here.

scott

In addition to what Asher already said, I can add that in our country Christmas markets are not a widely spread thing. In terms of geography, it is not a small country. But the population is very small, only about 5 million. This makes our towns small and any such venues usually economically unsound. So, only the major cities can hold Christmas markets.

Christmas markets are a big thing in German speaking countries (and, I believe, in the Baltic states). So, many of the folks are actually German. They travel around Finland and other Nordic countries from one fair to another, although I think some are local by marriage or some other reason. There are, however, also Finnish merchants working at the market. Also various societies and such have their booths at these markets.

I believe the city of Tampere owns the booths and rents them for different occasions, held at the Market square.