• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Treading the boards

Doug Kerr

Our local community theater company, The Theatre on the Hill, will produce "Arsenic and Old Lace" this fall, and auditions were held this past weekend.

Carla and I both read for parts in the production. Here we see Carla reading:

Q08530-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Carla reads for "Arsenic and Old Lace"

Panasonic FZ-1000, Leica DC Vario-Elmarit 1:2.8-4.0/9.1-146 mm Aspherical
ISO 1600, f/4.0, 1/50 sec, 269 mm ff35 equivalent

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Roshni,

I think the problem with the face and hair was motion blur - the shutter speed was only 1/50 sec (I should probably have used a greater ISO speed).

Here is the next frame:

Q08531-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Carla reads for "Arsenic and Old Lace" - 2

Panasonic FZ-1000, Leica DC Vario-Elmarit 1:2.8-4.0/9.1-146 mm Aspherical
ISO 1600, f/4.0, 1/50 sec, 269 mm ff35 equivalent

I think the problem is less there.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Maggie,

Looks like it will be great fun. When will you find out which parts you will get?

Probably in the next two days. The Director has a lot of cogitating to do! For one thing, it is a large cast. And a challenge is that there are many parts for men, and we don't have as many men as women come out to stand for the parts. On the other hand, many of the men's parts could perhaps be changed to women (several police officers and a crooked plastic surgeon, for example), although for the period the piece is set in that would take some dramatic license.

Carla is also in the running for Assistant Director, which she would rather do than be on stage. (She has done that once, although in a minor production, and she is eager to get a more serious outing on her resumé.)

So we'll see.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Here we see several of the aspirants in "the lineup" (not usually done), in which the director considers such things as compatibility of heights and so forth:

Q08669-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: The lineup

All four of the ladies here are aspirants for the one "ingenue" part.

And here is the director of the production, Connie Breding:

Q08668-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: The director

I describe her as the "general director" of the theater (but there is actually no such title). She is Associate Professor of Theater at New Mexico State University - Alamogordo (that is, she is the entire faculty of the Theater Department), the host of our theater company.

Here she is presiding over the lineup.

Best regards,

Doug