• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Not everything is what it seems to be ...

Hi folks,

I just saw a documentary about work by Chema Madoz, a Spanish photographer. His images look like modern photographic versions of René Magritte's surrealist works. Where Magritte could paint whatever his mind could think of, Madoz carefully records actual objects (usually collected from garbage), and he apparently uses very little, if any, Photoshop to create his mind boggling humoristic compositions. IMHO, excellent work.

Here's an example of how he can play with your mind:
ChemaMadoz.jpg

Here is his website with some examples of his work:
http://www.chemamadoz.com/ingles/about.htm

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi folks,

I just saw a documentary about work by Chema Madoz, a Spanish photographer. His images look like modern photographic versions of René Magritte's surrealist works. Where Magritte could paint whatever his mind could think of, Madoz carefully records actual objects (usually collected from garbage), and he apparently uses very little, if any, Photoshop to create his mind boggling humoristic compositions. IMHO, excellent work.

Here's an example of how he can play with your mind:
ChemaMadoz.jpg

Here is his website with some examples of his work:
http://www.chemamadoz.com/ingles/about.htm

Cheers,
Bart

Excellent discovery, Bart!

hojilla.jpg

This one is my absurd favorite!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Chema Madoz: A Master of Creativity

Hi folks,

I am glad that Bart has brought this to our attention. There also was a blog article about Chema Madoz in the Online Photographer. Having heard that his work is being exhibited in the Dutch Photography Museum (which is practically next door to where I live), I went to see the exhibition in Rotterdam today.

The pictures were much more impressive when seen printed large, properly matted and framed. The prints were silver gelatine and they looked gorgeous, most of them in the 40x50cm format. Originally I was afraid that his pictures would perhaps give me the impression of looking at a clever gimmick. I am so glad that this wasn't the case at all and I was really, really impressed.

Creativity aside (which is in abundance), I dare say equally important are his excellent, zen-like compositions and the simplicity and the beauty of his pictures. I was truly moved and humbled.

I have bought his master book (which is apparently not available via Amazon). The book contains hundreds of his pictures; laid out and printed very well; one on each page. I came back home as a very happy puppy indeed. :)

Cheers,