• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Student/ Sideline photographer- Portrait series

Alanna Olson

Trying to test out how to upload some of my own work on these posts, trying from a smugmug gallery:

1251228336_DPRPg-M.jpg

1251232269_S3HnZ-M.jpg

1251227218_M5JLq-M.jpg

1251228111_sHfn9-M.jpg

I've mentioned it before, I am very interested in fashion photography and artistic portraiture, would love to pursue it as a sideline job as I approach college graduation this May! Just wanted to put a few of these images I've been working on in the past two weeks out there!

Here is a link to my Facebook photography page if anyone is interested in seeing additional images from these shoots:
/129510670448406?sk=wall"]http://www.facebook.com/alanna.olson1?ref=profile#!/pages/Alanna-Olson-Photography/129510670448406?sk=wall[/COLOR]

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I've mentioned it before, I am very interested in fashion photography and artistic portraiture, would love to pursue it as a sideline job as I approach college graduation this May! Just wanted to put a few of these images I've been working on in the past two weeks out there!

Trying to test out how to upload some of my own work on these posts, trying from a smugmug gallery:

It's a pleasure to finally see your work. It's worth the wait! The first two pictures deserve discussion together.

1251228336_DPRPg-M.jpg

Alanna Olson: Girl in Little Black Dress

1251232269_S3HnZ-M.jpg

Alanna Olson: Girl in Green gown

The top picture shows a confident young woman with a radiant smile and golden hair reminiscent of movie stars of the 40's and 50's. The black dress against a dark b.g. is dramatic. Here face is well illuminated in the first picture, perhaps because it's such a purposeful setup. I wonder why you didn't have a light behind defining the edge of her chair, her figure and add some features to her hair.

Her feet and legs are also lit well. The light on her right hand is coming at an angle and is more dramatic.

The second picture is delightfully candid and great for editorial work.

Thanks so much for sharing. You are appreciated! :)

Asher

Alanna Olson

Thanks for your thoughts, Asher.

Just as a quick mention- did not have access to any additional lighting sets for any of these photos, all natural light or situational lighting in indoor/theater situations. Hope that explains some of the more shadowed areas of the images.

Asher Kelman

Thanks for your thoughts, Asher.

Just as a quick mention- did not have access to any additional lighting sets for any of these photos, all natural light or situational lighting in indoor/theater situations. Hope that explains some of the more shadowed areas of the images.

Bravo then Alanna! Working with available light you have done wonderfully.

What a good result for a young photographer, Alianna. The great gift you have is sparseness. Excluding clutter and clean lines is a great style. With very little extra, this kind of work can be outstanding. Imagine the future! This is where friends with a little reflector can help. What's amazing is how efficiently a large reflector can light a subject and then fold up to into a tiny circle. It's like one of those miracles of nature. You unzip the bag and the reflector pops up and spreads out with a snap. No batteries, no weight, nothing to go wrong and all for about $20 to $80!

A lot of folk spend too much money and effort on electronic flash but hardly use what god gives us for free! Natural light or available light is hard to beat as shown here.

I am impressed that we have found another young person with talent.

Asher

Last edited:

Daniel Schaefer

really dig the second photo, so natural and simple, almost like there was a sudden break in the shoot, and you never stopped clicking

great stuff!

Daniel

Asher Kelman

I like waterfall and ice shots with fashion! These bring together the rebirth of the landscape and the time when new dresses appear appear to hug the young and welcome spring!

I tried scenes like this in the frozen waterfall just outside Boulder Colorado, a favorite place of mine. I know it's easy to conceive of these shots and harder to pull it off.

1251227218_M5JLq-M.jpg

Alanna,

Fresh and delightful. You deliver on the promise of the assignment.

Asher

BTW, how was the terrain? It's hard to judge the level of challenge in getting to the location. This picture reminds me vividly of shooting such awesome scenes in the winter. My problem in photographing in such places is that light can fall dangerously fast at dusk. I'm always trying to push the envelope and so lose track of time and space. Then, one has to find one's way back up to a road and not fall off an icy ledge, camera and all!

Alanna Olson

The terrain wasn't a challenge at all really- we took these at Minnehaha Falls in Minnesota. This was off on a ledge near the falls, but we were pretty safe with much room to spare. With the seasons changing, the waterfall had just begun to flow again. There was still a good amount of ice and snow to convey the impression of winter though :)