• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A tease from Canon

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Whats it going to be???
Canon_DSLR2008ghost.jpg

The 4 buttons correspond to a front view of a 5D except for the fact that all 4 buttons are seen in the 5D medial to the top selection wheel. Here however, the 4 buttons are shifted laterally. In the 5D the first button starts just on the lower end of the downward sweep of the mirror housing. So this camera appears to be different than a 5D. I can't see a seam for a popup flash. It does of course have a hot shoe as expected.

Someone else can do better by using the flash shoe as a ruler.

Any other ideas?

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Canon_DSLR2008ghost.jpg

The 4 buttons correspond to a front view of a 5D except for the fact that all 4 buttons are seen in the 5D medial to the top selection wheel. Here however, the 4 buttons are shifted laterally. In the 5D the first button starts just on the lower end of the downward sweep of the mirror housing. So this camera appears to be different than a 5D. I can't see a seam for a popup flash. It does of course have a hot shoe as expected.

Someone else can do better by using the flash shoe as a ruler.

Any other ideas?

Asher
LOL! Just where do you see all those details? :)))

Oops! I just saw your dramatised picture.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Certainly, the next big announcement from Canon will be the 5D's successor. (Personally, I'm not itching for it and am quite happy with my "old" 5D.)

This Photokina comes at a tough economic time in the world. Sales of all of these new models, which are normally absorbed mainly by amateurs, could be more sluggish than usual for quite some time.

Asher Kelman

Could you compare the placement of the buttons with your own Canon DSLR's. I can see it has the same number of buttons as the 5D. However they are all displaced a cm or so to the outside of the camera. Why would they do that? Ergonomics? Would it be easier to access these buttons? Do they have to be more lateral because there's a larger screen, say 3.5 to 4 inches!

Anyway, just musing. The obvious bet is a 5D upgrade which is weather protected and a lower price. Otherwise, it would hardly be revolutionary. Of course, Canon might be releasing its triple layer technology....

So much for idle speculation!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I am not sure I follow you ... could you elaborate little on this technology?
Canon has not yet deployed its Foveon-like technology, a three layered chip which separately records R,G and B. This has the potential of improving the quality of images while remaining in the 35mm format. If anyone has the patent links let's have them!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Canon has not yet deployed its Foveon-like technology, a three layered chip which separately records R,G and B. This has the potential of improving the quality of images while remaining in the 35mm format. If anyone has the patent links let's have them!

I am very anxious to see bona-fide tri-color sensors (such as the Foveon) come into widespread use in still cameras.

A few years ago, I would have said:

"In a few years, the idea of using a color filter array to take color images will seem as primitive as the use of a rotating tri-color disk for color-multiplexing one monochrome CRT for color television display". That scheme, developed under Peter Goldmark of CBS, was briefly considered as the premise for a color TV "encoding" system in about 1950.

But now I'd better not. My current big TV receiver, using the TI DLP technology, uses a rotating color disk to multiplex the monochrome micromirror display!

But it's an improved disk design, invented by Claude E. Tew, who I'm proud to say was my best man at my wedding to Carla!

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

The Canon Japan site shows the silhouette better.

http://cweb.canon.jp/camera/eosd/index.html
Hi Stefan,

Yes you are quite right.

Japan_Canon_site_DSLR_Teaser

So we have so far that the new camera has a 5D button configuration behind the top thumb-wheel, except the line of the 4 buttons is displaced laterally 9-12 mm laterally so there is now a space between the inside top button and the dome for the mirror housing. The lat button is now behind the thumb-wheel, again about 9-12,, displaced from the position on the 5D.

The lower sides and base of the camera appears more curved and there's a substantial lip. This would allow the addition of an attachment for portrait shooting and more battery space. Also it would allow for WIFI, perhaps. If you look at the first set of pictures, it seems as if that attachment is on the camera, making it appear to be the shape of a 1D series camera.

So I estimate this is a new 5D with a much larger screen. As the cable going to the screen is really flat, I don't see why they needed to make such a drastic change in the buttons.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Kathy,

24 Megapixels....? This from Digital Wedding Forums Rumor Thread.....

Well, if it indeed has a video mode, the really hair shirt pros will feel they have to give it a pass - that's even more disqualifying than having an onboard flash!

Best regards,

Doug

Cem_Usakligil

Hi, Kathy,

Well, if it indeed has a video mode, the really hair shirt pros will feel they have to give it a pass - that's even more disqualifying than having an onboard flash!

Best regards,

Doug
Even worse, I heard rumours that it has "P" mode!!!!

Asher Kelman

D90? Hmm, let me think Red!

So Nikon boasts the 720p movie mode. Well, guess what, Canon has always been able to put anything new out from 3 months of concept. They have a lot in the cupboard but only give out what is needed to push forward their marketing plans. That's going to be the 1080p movie format in a new undisclosed canon model according to the friendly folks at Red.

The innovative, closely held company is introducing a new camera aimed to replace the DSLR termed for now, at least, the DSMC, the Digital Still and Motion camera. We are made to believe that this will eclipse anything else we have known in resolution. "Future cameras will shoot ultra-high resolution stills and motion...", Jim Jannard, the CEO of Red.

Picture 6.png

That was just the first post in the thread! There are now 21 pages! Read more in the wonderful forum of the Red organization! here.

Think about it. Once one can build super high resolution pictures at 24 frames a second, why do we need Canon or Nikon? So think of the end of 2009 as an important time; DSMC time, hopefully with Zeiss lenses, just to heat things up even more!

Meanwhile, is it possible that, is the 5DII going to be the D90 killer at 1080p video quality? Or, has Canon going to let Nikon swank around with the D4 low light capability and brag about the D700 bargain gift wrapping of all the D4 goodness and then crow without end about the D90 being top rooster? Not likely! So my bet is as good as any.

Asher

Ron Morse

Looks like quite a machine to me also. I'm anxious to see some photos from it in the hands of a photographer instead of just the canon samples. I'll bet it will be amazing.

I can't believe the people on another forum complaining about a camera that no one has even tried yet. Seem it doesn't have this or that and they are so disappointed. The A/F is no good, just about everything about it bad. Doesn't it make sense that someone would use one first before deciding.