• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Helpful Hints/D.I.Y.: How can I link images from flickr?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
You mean, can you link from Flickr? I believe the answer is yes.

Get the url of your image and put it in the text sandwiched between
. It's that simple.

Asher

Asher Kelman

I just did a quick check. A lot of people use photobucket.com, pBase.com, smugmug.com and here's one image by Mike Shimwell from Flikr.com

2483371260_01b995b3fa_o.jpg

Photo Mike Shimwell 2008

Let us know if you have any problems! It's pictures that makes the site work, especially one's you would want to print and perhaps get to exhibit or sell! Still if you have issues with a subject, we're here to help you do well!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Doug,

There is this yellow icon above your screen where you compose your post. It looks like a mountain and a sun above it. That is the one you should click on. It will then ask you to enter the URL of the image. That should do it. If not, almost certain that your URL is wrong.

The URL should link directly to the picture itself and not to the HTML page which displays the image. For example (this URL is and not a real one):
Code:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2414/2sdfsfg81400_9eb5bc0fd0.jpg
What the yellow icon does is to enclose the image's URL in between IMG tags like this
Code:
{img}http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2414/2sdfsfg81400_9eb5bc0fd0.jpg{/img}
(In reality, the curly brackets will be: [ and ] instead of { and })

HTH.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Doug!

to post an image (to be embedded in your message), the end of the URL must be .jpg or .png or .gif

I edited your post and was able to copy the link you have written
Then opened with that link the flickr page (not the image) with your image displayed.
I did a right click on the image and chose in the pop-up "copy image address"
Came back to OPF message box, and pasted in the window you get on top of the message box (
insertimage.gif
)

2535520850_b28a2a9945.jpg

Asher Kelman

Hi Doug,

If you follow what Nicolas has instructed, you shouldn't need my help, but perhaps you sometimes are not extracting the correct url from flikr.com.

Here's what flikr.com says:

How do I get the URL of a photo?

To use the URL of a photo (like when you add a photo to your Blogger profile), you must provide the web address (URL) of the image itself, not the address of the web page where the image is displayed.

Here's an example of a correct URL for a photo. Note the .jpg at the end:
» http://www.flickr.com/photos/132375_0ca82ae31e.jpg

Here's an example of an incorrect URL for a photo. It points to the web page where the image is displayed, not the image file itself. Notice there's no .jpg at the end.
» http://www.flickr.com/photos/eric/132375/

(Click both of these links to see the difference.)

To get the URL of the actual image file, find the photo you want to use. Click the "All Sizes" button above it and select the size you want. If the photo is yours, two text fields appear below the photo. The first contains a snippet of HTML that will produce the photo on your web site, with a link back to the photo page on Flickr. The second contains the URL of the image itself. Simply copy and paste the one you want into your web site.

If the photo isn't yours, you may not be able to access the Different Sizes page (if the owner doesn't allow downloads of the photo).

Note: Per our Terms of Use, whenever you place an image you're storing on Flickr on an external web site, you must also include a link back to Flickr.
Source.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Now repost your quick focus street work in the correct thread, LOL!

Thanks and congrats. What was the sticking point in working through this?

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Doug

When you click on an image on your flickr page it takes you to the image page. The click on the 'see all sizes' link above the image (I think). I only put smallish images on flickr for linking here really and the all sizes link shows my original upload and there is a box below with the static ip address - it's the second box you really want. I just highlight that and copy it into the ui box on opf (copying over opf's initial http:// as the flickr link includes that already).

Hope that helps, but pm or reply here if not.

Mike

Kevin Gagel

Flickr 2018

I've been using Flickr for a while now. I had trouble using the IMG tag and even the CODE tag. Here is how I can add an image linked from Flickr.

When you click the image in flickr a few options show up on the bottom right. A curved arrow is the one you'll need to click on. When you do choose the BBCode tab option. Then copy & paste the code into your post on this forum. That will create an embeded image for you. No need to use any of the code wrapping links above.

Here is an example...

Mill on the Fraser River by Kevin Gagel, on Flickr

Above, after I pasted the code into the message box I found the " by", went to the begining of that line and added a return to make it show up under the image.

I also used the Preview Post to help make sure I got it right.