• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Fuji GFX finds Flowers!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Without even reading hte manual I went to work. The first pictures ended up being sRGB and JPG only! But what I have discovered is that the in camera processing of the Fuji files is brilliant for colors a;though it may not comprehend and predic what should be the distribution of light.

So I am owrking with RAW files and trying to match the beautiful colors or the camera's JPG engine, using CC Photoshop 2018 without any lens or camera profiles.

At the North of Santa Monica Boulevard which like Olympic and Sunset, run all the weay West to the Pacific Ocean in Santa Monica, Beverly Hills has always maintained a walking park, some 30-40 meters wide with beautiful landscaping.

_DSF1018_950.jpg

Asher Kelman: Yellow flower Santa Monica Gardens
32-64 Fuji lens, 32mm,1/500, ISO 200, f 7.1
CC Photoshop 2018 process from RAW

Note the extraordinarilly shallow DOF even with f7.1 aperture! But this is Medium Format! So GFX shooting requires some really high figure f stops to get everything sharp!

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Size Matters! ?

Now there files are actually very large, so there is room to crop.

_DSF1018_yellow flower Cropped_600.jpg

So there we are! It is better cropped if the b.g. is so soft!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Now there files are actually very large, so there is room to crop.

_DSF1018_yellow flower Cropped_600.jpg

So there we are! It is better cropped if the b.g. is so soft!

Yes, this crop is very nice, but the full frame version is also very nice.

Looks like you have a good machine there.

Best regards,

Doug

I know the image with the building behind gives context, but I much prefer the cropped version. The flower is stunning, with bold shape and color but with the white building behind, I find it loses it power, as the building is very bright, and the flower basically has a better composition on its own.

Asher Kelman

I know the image with the building behind gives context, but I much prefer the cropped version. The flower is stunning, with bold shape and color but with the white building behind, I find it loses it power, as the building is very bright, and the flower basically has a better composition on its own.

Exactly, Maggie!

I wanted to show how the depth of focus being so narrow one cannot easilly use the b.g. here in the composition anyway. Also it's hard for man to build a rest stop in a park to compete with mother's beauty!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Once again, the b.g. is soft. This is great in portraits. Flowers are diifernet they do best with a black b.g., the sky or leaves.

This broad Bird of Paradise cluster attracted my eye.

_DSF1038_900.jpg

Asher Kelman: Bird of Paradise
Holmby Park January 2018
Fuji GFX 32-64mm
1/180, f5.6, ISO 200

Asher