• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Into 2018

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Makes me think of the "Handmaiden's Tale"

TheHandmaidsTale%281stEd%29.jpg

The derived movie is exceptional.

"In the near future, war rages across the Republic of Gilead—formerly the United States of America—and pollution has rendered 99% of the population sterile. Kate is a woman who attempts to emigrate to Canada with her husband and daughter. As they take a dirt road, the Gilead Border Guard order them to turn back or they will open fire. Kate's husband uses an automatic rifle to draw the fire, telling Kate to run, but he gets shot. Kate gets captured, while their daughter wanders off into the backcountry, confused and unaccompanied. The authorities take Kate to a training facility with several other women, where she and her companions receive training to become Handmaids—concubines for one of the privileged but barren couples who run the country's religious fundamentalist regime. Although she resists being indoctrinated into the cult of the Handmaids, which mixes Old Testament orthodoxy with 12-step scripted group chanting and ritualized violence, Kate is soon assigned to the home of "the Commander" (Fred) and of his cold, inflexible wife, Serena Joy. There she is named "Offred"—"of Fred".

Her role as the Commander's latest concubine is emotion-free, as she lies between Serena Joy's legs while being raped by the Commander in the collective hope that she will bear them a child. Kate continually longs for her earlier life, and is haunted by nightmares of her husband's death and of her daughter's disappearance. A doctor tells her that many of Gilead's male leaders are as sterile as their wives. Serena Joy desperately wants a baby, so she convinces Kate to risk the punishment for fornication—death by hanging—in order to be fertilized by another man who may make her pregnant, and consequently, spare her life. In exchange for Kate agreeing to this, Serena Joy provides information to Kate that her daughter is alive, and shows as proof a recent photograph of her living in the household of another Commander. However, Kate is told she can never see her daughter. The Commander also tries to get closer to Kate, in the sense that he feels if she enjoyed herself more she would become a better handmaid. The Commander gets Kate hard-to-obtain items, and, knowing her background as a librarian, allows her access to his private library. However, during a night out, the Commander has sex with Kate in an unauthorized manner. The other man selected by Serena Joy turns out to be Nick, the Commander's sympathetic chauffeur. Kate grows attached to Nick and eventually becomes pregnant with his child.

Kate ultimately kills the Commander, and a police unit then arrives to take her away. She thinks that the policemen are members of the Eyes, the government's secret police. However, it turns out that they are soldiers from the resistance movement (Mayday), of which Nick, too, is a part. Kate then flees with them, parting from Nick in an emotional scene.

Kate, is now free once again and wearing non-uniform clothes, but facing an uncertain future. She is living by herself, pregnant in a trailer while receiving intelligence reports from the rebels. She wonders if she will be reunited with Nick, but expresses hope that will happen, and resolves with the rebels' help she will find her daughter."

Here. is the trailer

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher
Love Atwood. Didn't know about this movie or book. The one novel I read was historical fiction which are my favorite!
Nothing is perfect is it... we are perfect imperfections! Thank you always for your awesome insight !
Happiest of a New Year for you and your family-

Charlotte-

fahim mohammed

Charlotte, an impressive image, as usual. But why do I get the feeling of descending into despondency in 2018? The v is a magnet...

May the new year fulfill your wishes.

Best regards.

Charlotte Thompson

Fahim

If you look closely I inverted the letter N...which stands for Indeed= N for receiving what comes 2018.
Just an artsy way of communicating . I am doing very well so far this New Year. Super happy and very peaceful my dear friend. Thank you always. You have been such a blessing!

Charlotte-

Charlotte Thompson

Jarmo

There is
no sorrow... none.. what we see is what see. I love other artist like you to see what you see.. Many thanks..

Charlotte

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

It's cool. What ever one sees one sees. That's the point of art I think. I was trained in art to look. To see. I also think in the abstract metaphor. Strange minds- strange art.

C.