• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Austin's Bats

Carlos Garcia

These are Austin's famous Mexican Free-tailed Bats. They live under the Ann W. Richards Congress Ave. Bridge from March-November.

People gather every evening to watch the spectacle.
64083661.jpg

The bats take flight
64074993.jpg

By summers end there will be about 1.5 million bats after the bats have given birth. It is the largest urban bat colony in the world.
64075451.jpg

The streams of bats leave the bridge. They will comsume between 10,000 and 30,000 lbs of insects each night.
62236526.jpg

Carlos Garcia

Round Rock's Bats

The city of Round Rock, just north of Austin, also has a bat colony. It's not as large, about half the size, nor as publicized as Austin's colony, but it is spectacular. Due to it's location, under an I-35 overpass, there is no designated viewing area. People gather on the road side, of the access road, and in parking lots.

I walked under and around the bridge and got some great shots of these little guys:

Here's the informal viewing area
65307269.jpg

Best view in the house
63829386.jpg

The stream
63829651.jpg

In flight
63817349.jpg

Last edited:

Mary Bull

The twilight colors in the sky of the final image from Austin are especially lovely.

The curl of the bat flocks in flight is like dream smoke.

About Round Rock: I've been through there many a time. Was never lucky enough to view its bats. This series you've posted is quite rewarding, as the bat images grow larger and larger.

Mary

Steve Fines

Nice story to go with the shots.

Anything that consumes 30,000 lbs of mosquitos is ok in my book!

There are a couple of lung diseases one can get from being around bird poop - I wonder if looking up at a million bats has a similar potential downside?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I wonder what else they eat besides mosquitoes and whether they are fussy?

Do they consume usefull insects too? What is their iimpact on the local ecosystem.

Asher

Carlos Garcia

Steve, I would think it's more dangerous in an enclosed area like a cave. Around and under the bridges there's plenty of ventilation, so I don't worry.

Asher, I'm sure they don't discriminate when it comes to eating. I can live with some good insects getting eating along with the bad. I've been meaning to build a few bathouses to mount around our house for mosquito control.

Mike Funnell

That brings back some memories. (I spent some time in Austin - counting back, that was 11 years ago!)

A great photo-story.

...Mike