• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Birds in a British garden

Bob Latham

By way of a brief introduction to the things I enjoy, here are a few from the garden over the past few months.
Thanks for looking.....
Bob

Fledgling Goldcrests shot with a 300/4 IS on a 30D
Goldcrest_6w.jpg

Robin shot with an 85L on a 5D using a Zigview remote viewfinder. The misty portion is the OOF part of a wall the robin was standing on.
IMG_0005d.jpg

Coal Tit taken shot with a 600/4 IS on a 50D....Coal Tits appear to jump before opening their wings for flight.
Jumping_Coal_Tit_1w.jpg

Blue Tit departing.....600/4 IS on a 50D. Focus hit the wing leaving the head a little OOF but posted simply because Blue Tits in flight are rarely posted.
Blue_Tit_10w.jpg

By way of a brief introduction to the things I enjoy, here are a few from the garden over the past few months.

Hi Bob,

I like the timing dimension you've brought into the images. These captures show these fast moving creatures displaying very natural behavior, despite some of them being lured with seeds.

The jumping Coal Tit shot is very special, and timing must have been tricky/lucky (were you taking a burst?).

Bart

Charlotte Thompson

these are beyond beautiful
especially the baby birds
I cannot do what you do- but I do appreciate the art of this-
and the robin single shot is so much a gorgeous regal creature*
thank you for showing these lovely acts of nature!

Charlotte-

Bob Latham

Hi Bob,
.....The jumping Coal Tit shot is very special, and timing must have been tricky/lucky (were you taking a burst?).
Bart
Bart,
They were not burst shots but simply lucky. The small Tits arrive, pick a seed and depart within a second or two.....I have plenty that just show a tail exiting the frame.

these are beyond beautiful
especially the baby birds
...and the robin single shot is so much a gorgeous regal creature*
Charlotte-
The fledglings certainly win the "Cute award 2008" from my captures. I have quite a few more images of them and I'll post up a few more in a separate thread.
The Robin shot was intended to be a "normal" image but he didn't come far enough forward to get in the frame and the DOF (shot at f/1.2 on the 85L) gave the misty appearance....a fluke that turned out strangley well for its novelty value.

Awesome captures!! They are all well done, but i would say the first one is my favorite. Love the focus on these. TFS
Thanks Eric...I hope not to disappoint in the future.

Cheers Bob

Hi Bob,
Of course, you need that 'element of luck' with these; but even so, the Coal Tit's jumping shot surely suggests instinctive action of the photographer! Reminds me of Cartier Brasson's "decisice moment". Incredible timing. Even a video of the takeoff would have lost this detail. And the takeoff shot must have been even more instinctive - your finger did it before you consciously thought about it, I'm sure! Yet, with such superb sharpness & details, 'awsome' would be an understatement.

regi

p.s. couldn't see the first two - probably they're on photobucket or flickr which are blocked by my kind network administrator.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks for looking.....
Bob

Fledgling Goldcrests shot with a 300/4 IS on a 30D
Goldcrest_6w.jpg

Robin shot with an 85L on a 5D using a Zigview remote viewfinder. The misty portion is the OOF part of a wall the robin was standing on.
IMG_0005d.jpg

Coal Tit taken shot with a 600/4 IS on a 50D....Coal Tits appear to jump before opening their wings for flight.
Jumping_Coal_Tit_1w.jpg

Blue Tit departing.....600/4 IS on a 50D. Focus hit the wing leaving the head a little OOF but posted simply because Blue Tits in flight are rarely posted.
Blue_Tit_10w.jpg

What hidden treasures we have!

Asher