• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Wildlife Portrait

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It's a red panda.

It's a purloined reposted Red Kaola, but used without permission as far as we could tell. Maggie Terlecki kindly contributed her dogged detective skills to confirm my suspicions that the fellow posting, was trying to drum up referrals to his commercial retouching web site. Maggie write me as follows:

"More proof:

Now that I know who the photographer was .. Simone Torkington,
it was easy to find that she sells the image through Getty images,
for 575.00 for the large.. and that's to use it and it still doesn't belong
to you.. it's exactly the same, but flipped.
http://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/ph...nda-looking-away-royalty-free-image/635104959

What is foolish is that we are happy to support most endeavors by active members to promote their own interests, as long as they are upfront and ask how we handled things. So we can support a portrait business, wedding photographers, courses by anyone competent, but not image theft.

Unfortunately, this filtering of posts takes an inordinate amount of time. But one does get to develop a sense of what seems out of place for an unusual picture posted by a person with less linguistic skills Trump explaining why everything is fabulous!

Asher

Antonio Correia

i-m3qLWgD-X4.jpg

i-NxcfZhq-XL.jpg

Asher Kelman

Such grand majestic terror and innocent vulnerability photographed to perfection: unlimited power and fragile innocence!

Fabulous...

......so reflective of the period of life for us too!

We root for the tigers right to leap at its prey!

But we shudder at the loss of the deer!

A brilliant “visual poem”!

Asher

Andy brown

Au contraire.
Wonderful creature, this is a wild bird, I was about a metre from it and it was completely at ease. I’ve noticed that before with this species, extremely relaxed around humans.
They are comical, humorous and highly intelligent.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Au contraire.
Wonderful creature, this is a wild bird, I was about a metre from it and it was completely at ease. I’ve noticed that before with this species, extremely relaxed around humans.
They are comical, humorous and highly intelligent.
That's cool!
My comment was because of its gaze… "What do you want? !!!"

Asher Kelman

Andy,

I thought he was tipping his head to us to say “Hi!”

But Nicolas has point. This parakeet of yours seems robust and not at all flamboyant as one might expect from the name!

5CC9B8AA-31E0-4E8D-AC45-88EEFC2111EE.jpeg

It seems like a “working” set of colors like for the hippo or barn owl with earthen or tree coloring. In the balance between getting extra chances of courting and staying alive it seems built for the latter!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Will,

What a handsome creature!

This has 3 Ossicones, the cartilaginous horn like structures that make the giraffe head so distinctive.

It’s impressive a creature: looks so gentle but one swing of that neck can knock out cold a predatory big cat for an hour with just one well aimed or lucky whack!

The extra weight of the Ossicones could help to give the head more mass and therefore a more striking force!

Asher

Asher Kelman

This is so special!

In Boulder Colorado, USA, this albino stag deer wandered into a woman’s back yard!

It’s protected under law and Wildlife officials are relying on hunters not to shoot it!

892E2E4D-A446-4EF2-8D3B-B57072E23080.jpeg

I tried to see if I could get more detail:

2EBD8E19-75F7-4FB4-9955-901A9FCC42AC.jpeg

I hope they don’t kill it!

“Tracy Weese photographed the deer in her backyard, referring to it as “his majesty,” the Star Tribune reported. She said the spot on the buck’s head seemed to be dirt and blood.

Lobner said the deer appeared to be older but he could not determine for sure whether the buck was a white deer or albino deer. White deer, the result of a recessive gene called leucism, are a bit more common. A herd of white deer in the Boulder Junction area are “local celebrities,” he added.”

[One thing I know, is that, in general, Boulder, Colorado is very respectful of wildlife so this fellow has a fighting chance.]

BUT, this is Boulder Junction, Wisconsin, a totally different psyche, and the mood is more favorable to the hunter! But they do respect the Sheriff!

Asher