• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Tawny Frogmouth

Barry Johnston

Today I was fortunate.... indeed very fortunate, because in a tree right near my balcony sat two Tawny Frogmouth birds. These are commonly thought to be of the owl family, but in fact they are not. They are extremely difficult to spot as they sit dead still for hours on end and are so well camouflaged that they are often mistaken for the branch they sit on. Today was hot, nearly 40 degrees C as I watched the formula 1 GP on the TV, and their only movement was to moderate their body temperature by opening and closing their beaks very slowly.

Pic 1.
original.jpg

1D MkII N + TC1.4 + EF 400 f/2.8

Pic 2.
original.jpg

1D MkII N + EF 400 f/2.8

Barry.

Barry Johnston

Specs.

Hi Nicolas,

They normally sit with their beaks facing skywards and you will never see them.

Here are the specs I should have posted before.

Pic 1: 1/320 @ f/4 ISO100

Pic 2: 1/400 @ f/2.8 ISO100

Regards,
Barry.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi again Barry
This is quite slow speed, as "quick math" gives a focal for your "combo" as 728 mm! Did you use a tripod? or was it handheld? anyay good IS!

Barry Johnston

Hello Nicolas...

Hello Nicolas,

Yes, as you know the size and weight of the 400 f/2.8 makes is too large for handheld photography, unless your name is Arnold, in which case you could probably use it like a P&S camera.

I did use monopod here with IS turned 'on'.

Years ago I was in an elite military unit where I was trained to use high powered rifles and the like. I also used to shoot competitively as a sport and have several trophies from tournaments I have entered. As with a rifle, I use the same breathing technique when using a camera and it really helps. This is obviously only applicable to handheld photography and when poor lighting necessitates the use of a shutter speed that is longer than the focal length of the lens you are using.

In an appropriate thread, it would be interesting to see peoples best photograph using the slowest possible shutter speed without any use of support.....

Best Regards,
Barry.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Barry

As with a rifle, I use the same breathing technique when using a camera and it really helps
between heart beats?

In an appropriate thread, it would be interesting to see peoples best photograph using the slowest possible shutter speed without any use of support.....
I let you the honor to start it, great idea c'mon!