• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Bird at Osian (Jodhpur, India)

Arun Gaur

Bird at Osian (Jodhpur, India)
An image of the bird that I found this January at Osian (Jodhpur India). I don’t know the name of the bird / species.

Arun Gaur
http://tripolia-indianlandscapeimages.com

_DSC1568a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice shot, Arun. I would guess it's a Kite of some type, as it looks similar to the Swallow-tailed Kite here in the U.S. but this is just a guess and I could easily be wrong.

I might crop some from the left and top - looks like a road or something in the background which doesn't add anything to the image.

Let us know if you're able to figure out what species it is.

I saw this bird in Serengeti NP (Tanzania). It looks very similar to yours. My Princeton Field Guide: Birds of East Africa calls it a Black-shouldered Kite

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Mike Spinak

pro member
There's also a North American bird specie which used to be called a black-shouldered kite. In this age of genetic analysis, it was ultimately determined to be a different specie than the black-shouldered kite Winston shows in his photos, so it was re-named the white-tailed kite.

Here it is:

4193793991_711f1fa1d3_o.jpg

http://naturography.com

Last edited:

Mike Spinak

pro member
Yes, Arun.

Camera: Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II

Lens: 600 F/4 IS with a Canon 2x tele-extender, for a total focal length of 1,200

Aperture: f/8

Distance: Approximately 20-30 feet, I'd guess.