• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Mechanic

Chris Calohan

8574193117_3c12213ecc_o.jpg

The Mechanic: Chris Calohan​

Antonio Correia

Here Chris I think the image needs more space mainly on the right and left sides.
It is a nice image.
Oh BTW, it's not the Mini is it ? :) :)

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Have we seen other studies of men at work from you, Chris? As a stand alone, the image as a study in form is well established by you. The placement an focus has provided a good interaction between the forms created by the arm, a strong component, and the machine. The anonymity of the mechanic adds a level of drama and mystery, as does the tonal choice. The tight crop adds another level of tension, as if the forces at play are busting at the seams and pushing up against the frame. The great pleasure in viewing this is that it could be any of us under that car. Our desires to be real men might allow us to fantasies a bit on this. Wouldn't we all like to be under the car, covered in grease, strength in our body and skill in our powerful hands. It's a blokey photo and well worth hanging on a wall.

Chris Calohan

Here Chris I think the image needs more space mainly on the right and left sides.
It is a nice image.
Oh BTW, it's not the Mini is it ? :) :)

It is not the Mini but will be in a couple of days when the new Ball Joints arrive. It looks like it would work with more space on either side, but really doesn't. I like Tom Dining's assessment as it exactly what I was thinking when I made the shot.

Chris Calohan

I redid the original a bit to draw out the man's hat from the bumper and toned down the rim somewhat to push the attention back to the arm and as well, toned down some of the highlights on the hand.

8575117739_30f5c05786_o.jpg

The Mechanic - Charles Bronson Edition: Chris Calohan​

Chris Calohan

Have we seen other studies of men at work from you, Chris? As a stand alone, the image as a study in form is well established by you. The placement an focus has provided a good interaction between the forms created by the arm, a strong component, and the machine. The anonymity of the mechanic adds a level of drama and mystery, as does the tonal choice. The tight crop adds another level of tension, as if the forces at play are busting at the seams and pushing up against the frame. The great pleasure in viewing this is that it could be any of us under that car. Our desires to be real men might allow us to fantasies a bit on this. Wouldn't we all like to be under the car, covered in grease, strength in our body and skill in our powerful hands. It's a blokey photo and well worth hanging on a wall.

I'm going to have to hire you as my publicist. What was it Slim Pickens said to harvey Korman in Blazing Saddles: "Well, durn, you talk prettier than a three-dollar whore."

And I mean that in the nicest way. Thanks, Tom.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I'm going to have to hire you as my publicist. What was it Slim Pickens said to harvey Korman in Blazing Saddles: "Well, durn, you talk prettier than a three-dollar whore."

And I mean that in the nicest way. Thanks, Tom.

There is an invoice for services in the mail. Payment is expected in 30 days or I will post a rebuff.
My legs are closed until payment is received.

Robert Watcher

I redid the original a bit to draw out the man's hat from the bumper and toned down the rim somewhat to push the attention back to the arm and as well, toned down some of the highlights on the hand.

8575117739_30f5c05786_o.jpg

The Mechanic - Charles Bronson Edition: Chris Calohan​

This version works for me, moreso than the first processing where I could not define anything other than the arm and wheel on the left side. Subtle difference - but better.

----

Chris Calohan

I printed this version out today and took it to the mechanic. It was strange in that he said in his whole life, on one had ever done anything like that for him. It's nice to touch someone with so simple a deed.

Thanks everybody for the encouragement with my work. Sometimes I feel like I'm wading through molassess, but on occasion, like with this image, walking on air.

Robert Watcher

I printed this version out today and took it to the mechanic. It was strange in that he said in his whole life, on one had ever done anything like that for him. It's nice to touch someone with so simple a deed.

Thanks everybody for the encouragement with my work. Sometimes I feel like I'm wading through molassess, but on occasion, like with this image, walking on air.

Excellent. So nice of you to do and for him to appreciate what you did.

-------