• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Artificial! Natural?

Michael Nagel

I saw this one on the Munich Airport three years ago. The juxtapostition of soḿething natural - the tree - and the artificial - the two cylinders behind attracted me. Then there was the shape of the tree...

No way to get a better position - I did not have a ladder and hovering in the air is not among my capacities.

Listening to the latest Album from Karl Bartos called 'Off the Record' while writing...

Best regards,
Michael

I find this very interesting, Michael. We do see the juxtaposition of the natural against the artificial, but here the tree has been nipped and clipped to make it seem almost artificial. Interesting shot!
Maggie

Michael Nagel

Maggie,

thanks - this is what I was aiming for. I just hoped to get a better vantage point a little to the left, but as I had to step on a bank for the right height, I would have needed a ladder - thus my frustration expressed above...

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I saw this one on the Munich Airport three years ago. The juxtapostition of soḿething natural - the tree - and the artificial - the two cylinders behind attracted me. Then there was the shape of the tree...

No way to get a better position - I did not have a ladder and hovering in the air is not among my capacities.

Michael,

Geometrically so impressive and a good catch. That "topping" of the tree was an artistic master stroke, so simple! and defines the installation as now being in the realm of art, as opposed to unintended, accidental impressions.

Theoretically, this is one of those cases where taking the picture with an an array of images in one straight line can allow one to reconstruct the scene in 3D and then pull out the new position you want. I'd love to so that just for the fun of seeing it exactly from the position I couldn't be it. I bet that Bart Van Der Wolf knows how to do this!

Asher

Michael Nagel

Asher,

thanks. A little more to the left would have been better. The difference in apparent height between both cylinders would decrease and thanks to the different perspective there would be a better impression of depth to the left.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher,

thanks. A little more to the left would have been better. The difference in apparent height between both cylinders would decrease and thanks to the different perspective there would be a better impression of depth to the left.

Hi Michael,

Other than post-processing/cloning, I guess there was not much else you could have done. Sometimes a Tilt/Shift lens can help a little with difficult perspective issues when your shooting position is more or less dictated by the local possibilities. Your sense for composition is good enough to exploit the situation as it is. If there would have been an alternative, I'm sure you would have grabbed it.

I like the image as it is, and the slight height difference doesn't bother or distract me in the least. The 3D/depth effect is clear enough.

Cheers,
Bart

Jarmo Juntunen

Michael, I've returned to this image several times. There is something unsettling in it and I just couldn't understand what it was. But now I think I got it. A man-made landscape where even the nature has to conform to geometrical shapes! So clean, so pure, so cold. Fantastic photographic thinking from you, thank you for sharing!

Michael Nagel

Jarmo,

Thank you. Yes it is the shapes and the man-made shape of the tree made me put the question mark behind natural,

Best regards,
Michael