• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In-Camera Double Exposure

Robert Watcher

With my Olympus E-PL3 back from repair, I decided to reset everything from scratch and go thoroughly through the Menu to set things up the way I wanted. Doing so I noticed a few features that the camera has - that I have never explored.

One was the built-in Multiple Exposure option. It is common for me to combine images in layers in Photoshop and so probably have not seen a benefit to it. But it is actually pretty cool and inspiring, and takes me back to my film days of winding the crank on with the little pin pushed down so that the shutter would reset - but the film wouldn't advance.

It happened that I was sitting on my porch late in the evening tonight, and so just used content that was around me. On a small table between to chairs is a substantial plant planted in a glass vase. Setting the camera to take a Multiple Exposure frame - I aimed at the vase and took a shot - then aimed at a flower on the plant - - - using the overlayed first exposure that showed softly on the screen, to line up the second shot and then fire.

The results were very interesting and a few (which I'm not showing) are a very useful look that I may use in some portraits where it appears as if the person would be shot through reflections in glass. These could be done in Photoshop - - - but not nearly as quickly - and not with the immediacy of seeing the effect. I enjoyed it.

----------

Shot with Olympus E-PL3 and 14-42 kit lens. The first shot shows more clearly the vase, with the second more abstract. It was easy to position the plant in the second exposure, to be where I wanted it to be.

vase-flower.jpg

flower-in-vase.jpg

I had just returned from the coffee shop and after noticing the pattern of the weave of the outdoor carpet under my feet - - - I wondered what it would look like combining that as a background for some object (in this case the only thing that was close to me - the cup).

tim-hortons-cup.jpg