• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Textured images

Alain Briot

pro member
Saguaro-Blackstone-AZ.jpg

Textured Saguaro, Blackstone, Arizona

Hi Alain,

I saw Uwe starting to do the same last year on some tree shots with texture blending which I liked a lot. It is an additional dimension you add there and may be it is thought to be the attempt to add some additional desert flavor, the gritty, the sand in the wind? The latter came to my mind, and I can imagine them to be especially nice printed on canvas.

To me it works best on the Oldtimer, I am not too sure about the swirling patterns in the cactus shot. I think I would get tired looking at them after a while.

Alain Briot

pro member
To me it works best on the Oldtimer, I am not too sure about the swirling patterns in the cactus shot. I think I would get tired looking at them after a while.

What you call "the cactus shot" (not very poetic...) is actually the most popular image in this series right now.

Art is a matter of personal taste.

I have more in this series. I'm also posting them on my facebook page right now:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=524500800&ref=name

Art is a matter of personal taste.

It sure is! Personally I always try to 'see' the print on my walls and think from this perspective.

As for texture blending, I have mixed feelings about it. On the one side, there are certain shots where the technique seems to add something pleasant and 'valid', there are others where I perceive it nearly as a gimmick, hence I would get tired too quickly looking at it.

In one of those videos made by Juliane Kost, she worked on a shot made in Iceland, she texture blended Ice structures from another shot over the entire scene, it added immediately the 'crisp' atmosphere she no doubt experienced while standing there.

In this context, your old timer shot worked the same for me, without being too obtrusive, in my world most important to successfully apply this technique, it added the 'desert flavor' hence enhanced the original, adding a dimension if you will.

This did not work too well in the 'cactus shot' ;) in my eyes.

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
There was a fashion for textures a couple of years back in my business, wedding photography. Nowadays it's seen as awfully passe in that world and I feel for the people whose albums reflect that which is now considered out of date, a passing fad, passe, something their kids will laugh at. I would not want to inflict my art with anything which would make it look faddy. Marriages last a short enough time these days but fads such as selective colour and textures which are already so out of date, inflicted on a medium such as fine art, personally I can't understand it. Overdone HDR will go the same way soon enough. Fads are only a passing fancy and digital fads last no time at all....

But then what would the world be like if we were all the same?