• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Floor at MOMA

doug anderson

2562517994_c4806910d8_m.jpg

Floor underneath a big Rodin sculpture.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Doug,

That's not good enough! Let's have a little more in the image. Is that your photograph and what's the story behind it? Tell us who made the floor and when!!

Asher

doug anderson

Doug,

That's not good enough! Let's have a little more in the image. Is that your photograph and what's the story behind it? Tell us who made the floor and when!!

Asher

I don't know who painted the floor but it was more interesting than some of the more contemporary offerings at the museum. I was just delighted with the colors, angles, etc.

Addendum: at this point in my life I have become fascinated with moments/images that are between the more dramatic things I have always selected to see. When I lived in New York and was drawing a lot, I began to see things in a new way, notice things I had not hitherto noticed. I could be standing on a subway platform and see forms in the broken tiles in the stained wall opposite.

I think this image of the floor comes from that sense. If I were to characterize this photo I would say it is part of a traveling sketchbook. "Sketching" with a camera is not a bad idea, n'est ce-pas?. I would like to keep a journal in which I alternate subject centered photos with negative space photos, plus writing.

When I went to India in 1971 I was on my way to the Taj Mahal when my Sikh driver accidentally hit a cow. There followed a three hour argument/reconciliation between the Sikh and the cowherd (you know of course with what importance Hindus hold cows), during which time several hundred monkeys swarmed across the road and the sun went down changing the color ever few minutes. The two men finally embraced and we were on the way. This was worth more than the Taj, which I had to wait until the next day to see. After this, the Taj was just more architecture.

This shifting between figure and ground is now part of a life process.

Last edited:

doug anderson

Fun. Thanks. I was being so suffocated by tourists the day I went and I'm afraid I didn't stay long enough to find this stuff out.

Last edited: