• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

After the wildfire I

Antonio Correia

i-tL6mZvj-XL.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Antonio,

Broken life is a tragedy. Your picture represents this well!

This is sad scene, but perhaps also a sign that there will be renewal. Forrest fires are actually necessary parts of a cycle of life and reinvigoration of the Forrest signaling to buried seeds to sprout alternative new plants.

Here a questions arises. We're the fires a symptom of global warming or partly at least due to the failure of government fire protection services, training, equipment and readiness?

Asher

Antonio Correia

Asher, the fires here as caused by global warming, natural causes and some, have human origin.

Fires is business like war, for example. To fight fires you must have equipment, prepared men, planes, helis and so forth. And the trees may also be a business.

The government has some means for fighting the fires which are sometimes, insufficient.
i-7c8MRCS-XL.jpg

Asher Kelman

Asher, the fires here as caused by global warming, natural causes and some, have human origin.

Fires is business like war, for example. To fight fires you must have equipment, prepared men, planes, helis and so forth. And the trees may also be a business.

The government has some means for fighting the fires which are sometimes, insufficient.

Antonio,

A fine picture, but is color really needed?

Do you have a detailed picture of that wall in the background with two empty eyes?

The burnt tree is like a guardian to the place of death. I would be looking for such a specimen to take home as a sculpture representing this risk.

i-7c8MRCS-XL.jpg

I have never before considered such fires as a business. But that's a realistic alternative perspective, like looking at "Tourism", (voyeurism, photographing everyone around), or worse still, looking in this POV at private enterprise US prisons, US "law enforcement" and "US The drug war"!

All about churning money!

Living in the much more stressed environment of Portugal, with incredibably tragic losses of employment and opportunities, one is, perhaps more aware of reality.

Here in Los Angeles, we live in a LALA land of fantasy and frivolity!

Asher

Antonio Correia

Antonio,
A fine picture, but is color really needed?
Do you have a detailed picture of that wall in the background with two empty eyes?
The burnt tree is like a guardian to the place of death. I would be looking for such a specimen to take home as a sculpture representing this risk.
-
I have never before considered such fires as a business. But that's a realistic alternative perspective, like looking at "Tourism", (voyeurism, photographing everyone around), or worse still, looking in this POV at private enterprise US prisons, US "law enforcement" and "US The drug war"!
All about churning money!
Living in the much more stressed environment of Portugal, with incredibly tragic losses of employment and opportunities, one is, perhaps more aware of reality.
Here in Los Angeles, we live in a LALA land of fantasy and frivolity!
Asher

Asher, the color is not necessary indeed. It is my intention to go back and re-photograph to make only sepia images. And I wanted to do so under the full moon.

I hope to be able to go today but I am not sure if Luisa let me go.

Even if I will not be heading there today, I would like to go back in broad daylight and re do everything from scratch.

The burned tree is an olive one. I am sure it will recover when Spring comes.

Yes, fire is a business as much as war. Pretty simple for Human Beings ! If something/activity gives money and power, let's move on, even Human lives are at stake. As old as Humanity. Examples are everywhere in time.

Cheers ! :)
I almost forgot: the building in ruins is a building (have to search for the right name) belonging to the complex of tacking the water to town.

i-pMvq2bb-XL.jpg

Asher Kelman

Asher, the color is not necessary indeed. It is my intention to go back and re-photograph to make only sepia images. And I wanted to do so under the full moon.

I hope to be able to go today but I am not sure if Luisa let me go.

Even if I will not be heading there today, I would like to go back in broad daylight and re do everything from scratch.

Antonio,

I like your sprit and dedication. Ansel Adams used to go back to places again and again to finally figure out how the picture needed to be approached and in what light. Same with Edward Weston! He would do a setup with his precariously balanced shells, scream at his family, (who forgot to pass by on tip toe), and wait for hours even days for the right light!

The burned tree is an olive one. I am sure it will recover when Spring comes.
That would be marvelous. Those trees, as you well know can survive for hundreds and perhaps thousands of years.

Yes, fire is a business as much as war. Pretty simple for Human Beings ! If something/activity gives money and power, let's move on, even Human lives are at stake. As old as Humanity. Examples are everywhere in time.
We need to add beauty then and invasion of other folks privacy as big seedy enterprises!

I almost forgot: the building in ruins is a building (have to search for the right name) belonging to the complex of tacking the water to town.

i-pMvq2bb-XL.jpg

Is there a Roman aquaduct there? Where is the rest of it?

Asher

Antonio Correia

The same bulding in ruins
i-qPTc4Hb-XL.jpg

i-H5dgrBf-XL.jpg

and upstream the aqueduct

i-QR7z2qF-XL.jpg

Please Asher do not compare me to Ansel... :) :)

The aqueduct is from XVIII century and it provided water to Setubal.
These are it's remains.

Cheers

I made this one some other day.
i-4TSZhQh-XL.jpg

The scene is sad but you have managed to capture and show it well. This yellow color of the trunk in the picture makes it look more beautiful. Where did you click this picture Antonio?

Antonio Correia

@ Doug
Thank you for the link. I also often read on line. :)

@ Roshni
It was shot here, in my home town
One can see on the left side of the pin some kind of white fence which is, in fact, the aqueduct.
i-bzn5DW9-L.jpg

Today at 21:30 2 friends of mines and myself will be heading to this very place to make some photographs in the dark night.
The Moon is still rather full today (Illumination=98.2%) but I am more interested - and so they are - in trying to paint with light.
i-VmfmkZf-S.png

The other day I made a light painting in there. It was a quick job.
I was not very comfortable being alone in such a place and so I was in a hurry.
I want to do a more exquisite work this time. Everything is ready: camera, power, cards, tripod and LEDs
i-rKVmPmG-XL.jpg

Asher Kelman

@ Doug
Thank you for the link. I also often read on line. :)

@ Roshni
It was shot here, in my home town
One can see on the left side of the pin some kind of white fence which is, in fact, the aqueduct.
i-bzn5DW9-L.jpg

Today at 21:30 2 friends of mines and myself will be heading to this very place to make some photographs in the dark night.
The Moon is still rather full today (Illumination=98.2%) but I am more interested - and so they are - in trying to paint with light.
i-VmfmkZf-S.png

The other day I made a light painting in there. It was a quick job.
I was not very comfortable being alone in such a place and so I was in a hurry.
I want to do a more exquisite work this time. Everything is ready: camera, power, cards, tripod and LEDs
i-rKVmPmG-XL.jpg

Antonio,

I've never done light-painting. I admire the ones by Picasso using colored lights.

This style is more common and what modern photographers have popularized. This way of lighting a real object opens up new and very creative possibilities. I must try it with my models, especially in reclining nude studies.

I am impressed by your skill, success and bravery, giving the bleak isolated location! Would make a great eery start to a terrifying thriller, when the first victim is suddenly pounced apon from behind and savagely hacked apart by wild swinging machetes coming from nowhere in the darkness!

Asher

Antonio Correia

Asher, Setubal is not a dangerous place to live in. Moreover, Portugal is one of the most secures countries to live in. Thanks to it's small importance. Lisbon is also, a secure city.

However, some areas may house people who can cause problems... remember ?

The area doesn't not cause any special threats but a little caution is necessary these days, mainly in plain night.

i-bchckBk-XL.jpg

Asher Kelman

Asher, Setubal is not a dangerous place to live in. Moreover, Portugal is one of the most secures countries to live in. Thanks to it's small importance. Lisbon is also, a secure city......

i-bchckBk-XL.jpg

Interesting choice of that rusted out black hole in the car body as the center of the picture! Imagine that as a center of a flower and then the metal arlundcit are the petals!

Inventive and clever composition! I really like the effect! Perhaps, try a version that exaggerates this esthetic, limiting definition, clear focus, sharpness and contrast to the center and "petals of car bodywork!

Asher

Antonio Correia

I went to the place of the wildfire at night.
I found much more difficulties than I expected: There was a strong wind which I should expect, there was too light of the bulbs in the area, the fights from town were too present also, the Moon decided to have a look at the area, the terrain can cause a fall so I had to be aware, the focusing of the camera in the dark is more difficult to get, two hands were not enough and so on...
I got two images at the end. One pretty common and uninteresting of a tree and another from the engine of the car almost burned in the vicinity.
I "kind of like" the photo of the engine. A Ford Taunus perhaps 25 years old
i-FkJggtR-XL.jpg

i-d7xzbbb-XL.jpg

Asher Kelman

The same bulding in ruins
i-qPTc4Hb-XL.jpg

i-H5dgrBf-XL.jpg

and upstream the aqueduct

i-QR7z2qF-XL.jpg

Please Asher do not compare me to Ansel... :) :)

The aqueduct is from XVIII century and it provided water to Setubal.
These are it's remains.

Cheers

I made this one some other day.
i-4TSZhQh-XL.jpg

I like the positioning, especially picture #2. Dramatic.

Can you also take more like that, but with even more angle and the camera just 20 cm from the ground! I would like to see the exaggeration in perspective, especially nearer the aquaduct ruins!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I went to the place of the wildfire at night.
I found much more difficulties than I expected: There was a strong wind which I should expect, there was too light of the bulbs in the area, the fights from town were too present also, the Moon decided to have a look at the area, the terrain can cause a fall so I had to be aware, the focusing of the camera in the dark is more difficult to get, two hands were not enough and so on...
I got two images at the end. One pretty common and uninteresting of a tree and another from the engine of the car almost burned in the vicinity.
I "kind of like" the photo of the engine. A Ford Taunus perhaps 25 years old
i-FkJggtR-XL.jpg

i-d7xzbbb-XL.jpg

Now, can you investigate adding back shadow as if the light came from one or two distinct light sources. There is a very useful training video here in Photoshop cafe, which demonstrates very nicely adding light sources and moon light to make a scene realistic. In this case, I would add a blank curves layer, set to multiply, fill the mask with black and then use a small soft brush to paint in the shadows with white in the mask.

You don't NEED to do anything as your work excels as it is. I just am stimulated to see whatmore one might find!

Asher

Antonio Correia

Thank you Asher. You have long been an admirer of my work. Thank you ! :)

I am not exactly interested in the creation of light using Photoshop but rather to implement them on site.
It doesn't mean however, that I can't do it if ever I learn to...

I will have a close look at the link. Thanks !

Perhaps I will go back there. I expect to.

Cheers :)