• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Traces of the force of water

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Traces of the force of water shaping the rock in a gorge:

I might expand this subject later.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael,

Your picture has immediate impact. There's diversity of tonalities mapped in the form of branching tracks of movement that transcend immediate identity, but nevertheless are compelling. It is generous to give us a title as it allows us imagine water etching rock over an eonic time span. But the fundamental structure and implied movement, force and spreading growth is, in itself, already established and transcends what it is to allow the viewer to bring to it other scenarios and possibilities to explore in new universes of possibilities.

As a black and white picture it is worthy of its own devoted space on any gallery wall and won't lose interest over the years!

Asher

Last edited:

Michael Nagel

Asher,

Thanks! When I saw this I thought immediately of surface structures and b/w.
The picture was taken with b/w in mind.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Next instalment - a picture that also contains many opportunities for different crops.

Michael,

You are so right! This picture works impressively as it is. No one would say it has any annoying shortcomings. I would be so proud to have made this and be more than satisfied!

However, since you mention many cropping possibilities, I immediately see two equally fascinating alternate presentations, but no actual cropping, by simply dividing the rich real estate into thirds, either horizontally or vertically as a formidable set of powerful triptychs.

What's especially good about the picture is that one is free to be bring one's own fancy, imagination or burdens to the picture and get a new experience each time one returns, although for sure, certain formations will gather importance and identity and create in our minds meanings and relevance that grows over time, but personal to each of us.

Thanks for being a great observer and sharing this work.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Asher,

Thanks - nature offers so many things to explore.

Next instalment - adding colour and revealing the vertical landscape.

Best regards,
Michael

This is a magnificent elevation of the image. It is really so justified in this case to add the color as it brings a whole new dimension of contrast and lyricism. I saw more transverse movement, but you wrote of vertical landscape. Am I mistaken?

Asher

Michael Nagel

Asher.

I saw more transverse movement, but you wrote of vertical landscape. Am I mistaken?
This picture was taken looking up and a closer look on the direction of growth of the plants that can be seen reveal this.
I was simply alluding to this - not a vertical landscape in the most traditional perception, more an transformation of the seen into a different orientation.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Asher.

This picture was taken looking up and a closer look on the direction of growth of the plants that can be seen reveal this.
I was simply alluding to this - not a vertical landscape in the most traditional perception, more an transformation of the seen into a different orientation.

Michael,

Thanks for the explanation,

Asher

Asher Kelman

That's a pretty cool pic. Goes to show great photography can make anything look interesting!

Michael,

Anyone can click a shutter in front of a beautiful scene, a riot or an assassination or disaster.

Great photography depends on being able to actually notice what is also compelling and interesting about the ordinary things in our world. It's the observer's ability to find value in a junkyard.

So it's really not about photography, first and foremost, but rather an avid interest and skill in looking at our world that most of us merely walk through.

Asher

Paul Abbott

The initial image and 'Shaped by Water II' are the ones I really like, they have a presence about them. I would proudly print them up and frame them.
Can there be anything had from the black areas of the scene at all, ever so slightly?