• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Review: Anthropics Studio Pro: Rapid preparation of event pictures in low light.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A challenge to covering Art Exhibitions as a photographer is that pictures are needed to be delivered fast and the galleries exhibiting and the Exhibition owners want images that document but are glamorous.

So the colors of the artwork has to be accurate, but the shadows that plague exhibit visitors must not leave them grotesque!

......but there is only decent light on the art iso its a great challenge and image preparation can be time consuming.

So this time I am trying out Anthropics Portrait Pro Photo Studio Professional as it is claimed to now be pretty well automatic and it can discover by itself the lips, eyes, shape of face, hair and so forth. In much earlier editions, one really had to intervene and it was detail work.

So here is one picture taken at !SO 320 with the Fuji GFX F5.0, 1/38 sec, no flash, 64mm hand held. First simply delivered from Photoshop CC Adobe Camera RAW

_DSF4996_from RAW ACR.jpg

A lot of nuisance shadows but I love that natural appearance.

Next the out of camera JPG loaded into Anthropics Portrait Pro Studio Professional, (version 180. The images I worked with were merely screenshots, as the program didn't believe I had editing rights on my files!! Ao this is just a hint at how good the software is!

Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 1.11.28 PM copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: "Honor" at Art Show

First meeting Grab shot in dim light of Honor, with consent
ISO 3200 f5.0 1/38 sec Fuji 32-63mm, Fuji GFX Camera
RAW file opened in Adobe Camera RAW 2018 with few edits

Notice that Portrait Pro 18 accurately determined facial anatomical elects except for the hairline which I corrected by dragging it tup to the correct position. That's all I did. The software autoselctions were pretty much left as is, but I did decrease substantially the reshaping of the face.

From OOCamera jpg Anthropics PPStudio.jpg

Notice that distracting shadows, skin blemishes and the like have been removed, but its a tad dark. So I lightened just the face in Photoshop CC 2018 using the Adobe Camera RAW developing filter on the jpg.

From OOCamera jpg Anthropics PPStudio_edited ACR filter in PS.jpg

considering that this Portrait Pro quick processing is automatic, immediate and even working with a screenshot, pretty damn good. I highly recommend you try out this software for your even work.

Of course, I would work with RAW files for final output, but this is sure a fast way of delivering images with less pain.

Asher

Peter Dexter

What I don't like about Portrait Pro is that it always lightens the face a bit. My Jessika pic for example:

w/o PP

33206543898_66a9854533_z.jpg

w/PP

46373797134_caa7c0c1a9_z.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
What I don't like about Portrait Pro is that it always lightens the face a bit.

Peter,

I will look out for th darkening effect that you report.

However, in this case, it did the opposite. It rendered the face too dark and I had to lighten it in a separate step!

But what do you think of how it does it’s work of lifting the shadows and blemished so effortlessly?

I still have to repeat it with the full file after I release locked permissions.

Asher