• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Very good online virus scanner

While this post shall not be of great interest for our mac friends (after all, there are NO viruses for mac, for this or that reason), I' d like to share this link with my windows brethren: F-Secure.
Free, very thorough, very good virus scanner/remover.
While it will take its sweet time to scan your photo-filled terabytes of storage, but, believe you me, it would worth it.
It may catch stuff that Mcafee, NAV and Trend-Micro combined may overlook (root-kits included!). I certainly was surprised when it found a few things on what I assumed to be a "clean" machine.
HTH

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
How about scanning for windows-vicious viruses carried on mac images files or MS word docs received from PC users?

Asher

Uhm..

Asher Kelman said:
How about scanning for windows-vicious viruses carried on mac images files or MS word docs received from PC users?

Asher

Viruses do not cross-breed (unless they are cross-platform and hit already poor java applets).

Sorry, no visures for you, my friend (yet - lol)!

Nikolai Sklobovsky said:
Viruses do not cross-breed (unless they are cross-platform and hit already poor java applets).

Sorry, no visures for you, my friend (yet - lol)!

There is always a first:

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/osxleapa.html

Beyond that, the OS has plenty of security holes:

http://search.us-cert.gov/query.htm...nh=25&lk=1&rf=2&oq=&rq=0&si=1&qt=OS+X&x=0&y=0

And there are lots of application based security holes.

The only secure computer is one that is not networked and locked in a room where humans cannot touch it. :eek:) OS X is simply not as inviting of a target for hackers as you can infect many more windows systems for the same effort and build a much larger botnet.

enjoy,

Sean

Sean,

Sean DeMerchant said:
The only secure computer is one that is not networked and locked in a room where humans cannot touch it. :eek:) OS X is simply not as inviting of a target for hackers as you can infect many more windows systems for the same effort and build a much larger botnet.

enjoy,

Sean

Very much my way of thinking!

John_Nevill

I've tried countless AV software and can highly recommend avira, it has a very small footptint and is always up to date.

Don Ferguson Jr.

http://www.ewido.net/en/buy/

Ewido is a great free anti spywear remover .They have a 30 day free trial then you get the free version.
Tech support guys told me about it and it caught a trojan Norton and webroot spysweeper did not .I still have free version and would recommend it.
Regards
Don

Ray West

Hi Don,

afiak, thats AVG from Grisoft - I've used it for years. After Peter Norton sold out, anything named 'Norton' sucks.

Best wishes,

Ray