• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

What is Photomatrix ?

kombizz kashani

Would you please explain what exactly Photomatrix does on an image?
Have you used it in your image?
What do you think about it?
Also is there any other similar software products do the same ? If so, would you please write their names and the links to the products.

Alain Briot

pro member
Photomatix is actually an applications with several functions, all useful:

First, it is an HDR application, allowing you to combine several photographs exposed for highlights and shadows into a single image.

Second, it allows you to process the tones of this single HDR image so that they look good.

Third, Photomatix can also be used on non-HDR images to reduce the contrast between highlight and shadows areas. In that sense, it works a little bit like the Shadow/Highlight function in Photoshop, but has a stronger effect on local contrast.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Kombizz,

I assume you mean Photomatix.

You can read about it here

There are two more plugins I use to recover shadow detail, which are

Shadow Illuminator
and
Light Machine

I've made a simple comparison of them on this page

Regards,

Stuart

Hi Stuart, we had a lot of fun with that picture and Alain contributed a great version too.

I am puzzled by what you post as the FM version as it is rather desaturated and lacks contrast. That image really looks beatup.

Is it some mistake or is that the best one can do?

Asher

Tim Armes

http://www.hdrsoft.com/index.html
There are two more plugins I use to recover shadow detail, which are

Shadow Illuminator
and
Light Machine

I've made a simple comparison of them on this page

Hi Stuart,

I'd not heard of these two tools, but after seeing your convincing examples I'll certainly be taking a look (if they run on Mac).

Would it be possible for you to include a comparison with Photoshop CS's Shadows and Highlights tool? Also, Lightroom has the similar "fill light" slider, it might be interesting to see the conversion done with this tool too.

Tim

StuartRae

Asher,

I am puzzled by what you post as the FM version as it is rather desaturated and lacks contrast. That image really looks beatup.
Is it some mistake or is that the best one can do?

Yes, it looks absolutely dreadful, but I posted it for the purpose of comparison.
It was the best I could get from the SR plugin. It may be my fault, or a limitation of PSE3 (alrthough it was advertised as being compatible). Fortunately it wasn't very expensive!

Tim,

I'll certainly be taking a look (if they run on Mac).

Photomatix and Light Room both have Mac versions. Shadow Illuminator doesn't at the moment, although according to their website one is planned.

Would it be possible for you to include a comparison with Photoshop CS's Shadows and Highlights tool?

I don't have PS CS, although AFAIK the Shadows/Highlights control in PSE3 performs the same function.

Also, Lightroom has the similar "fill light" slider, it might be interesting to see the conversion done with this tool too.

Putting aside my dislike of LR, I've updated my link with a conversion using Fill Light. I also used the HSL control to (partially) remove a purple cast in the sky.

To complete the comparison, I've also posted conversions using Bibble Lite (Perfectly Clear, Fill Light and Highlight Recovery) and RawTherapee (Shadows/Highlights and Optima_V1 luminance curve).

Regards,

Stuart

Tim Armes

To complete the comparison, I've also posted conversions using Bibble Lite (Perfectly Clear, Fill Light and Highlight Recovery) and RawTherapee (Shadows/Highlights and Optima_V1 luminance curve).

Hi Stuart,

I can't see the new comparisons. Did you put them on the same page?

Tim

Tim Armes

Hi Stuart,

I can't see the new comparisons. Did you put them on the same page?

Tim

Ignore that, I needed to force refresh the page.

Interesting comparisons. I suspect that in most cases very similar results could have been achieved by playing with the settings.

The Lightroom conversion, for example, looks like it would be practically identical to the Light Machine conversion if you were to add a little vibrance and contrast.

Thanks for the tests.

Tim