• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Help with retouching

Jeff Mims

I am just getting back into portraiture after a 10 year or so hiatus, and back then I used film and medium format cameras.
The last couple of years, I've been concentrating on sports shooting, but really want to do more portraiture..so I bought a small lighting kit (Alien Bees 2/lights/1 SB) and did a few test shots with a Canon 5D and 24-105 lens.

Keep in mind, these were test shots, mainly testing the lights...etc. So the kids weren't dressed, or really posed in any formal fashion.

I tried do something in Lightroom, couldn't figure out how to retouch. I exported over to CS3..but nothing I did seem to work. So here are the photos straight out of the camera JPEG.

I would like to see what some of you could do with these images, and then explain to me what and how you did it. Thanks

92092974.jpg

92092975.jpg

Joe Russo

Jeff,

Here is my take on a retouch:
2231401787_aedd85f351_o.jpg

I ignored everything except their faces.

Steps:
  1. Blemish and crumb removal
  2. Skin retouch using the method found here
  3. A little digital tooth whitening - select teeth, desaturate,increase brightness

Joe Russo

A note from Asher pointed out something that I had missed. In my original retouch the girls' right cheek looked a little desaturated. So a combination of a Color Balance adjustment layer to bring up the reds and Brightness/Contrast adjustment layer to lighten it on that area and we have version 2.

2233357479_9ec7f45010_o.jpg

Thanks for the catch, Asher.

Jeff Mims

Thanks Joe..
Your retouching was much better than I can do. I was just testing out some studio lights I'd gotten,..and frankly didn't realize the baby had crumbs on his mouth.
I'm still learning...
photoshop
studio lighting...
I've got aways to go, I appreciate your showing me what is possible.

Thank you.

Joe Russo

Glad I could help. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I'm far from an expert in this area and when I don't know something I enjoy ferreting out the answer.