• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Old Camera - New Life

Robert Watcher

Last year I needed a 14-42 kit lens for my Olympus gear - I gave away the only copy I have to a young friend starting in photography. It turned out that it was cheaper just buying a camera/lens combo instead of looking for a used lens.

The body turned out to be an E-PL3, which I had owned before. I thought well this is cool. I love the compact pocketable size of these little beauties, so it will be awesome to have with me as an option. No sooner did I start using it, and I remembered a serious flaw with that model that irritated me to no end. When charging the battery, the camera would lose the date and time. I even sent that previous E-PL3 back to Olympus and they put a new capacitor in it - only to have it fail again after a short while.

Needless to say, the E-PL3 that I purchased last year, has sat idle. I can’t take the chance of forgetting to set the date and time after every charge. I depend on that data for organizing my Lightroom Catalogues.

I don’t know what I was looking for on the web, but this morning I accidentally came across an old post about the problem and one guy explained that the issue could be resolved by making sure to take out the memory card before taking out the battery to charge it. He didn’t know why, but it works.

So being I got the E-PL3 out of my camera bag to check it out, I decided to head off with Anne for a little walk through Democracia Market and the surrounding blocks. I attached my 45mm f1.8 and off we went. I didn’t care that it was high noon. Here are a few of the shots I took with this little 12MP gem with it’s tip out screen for viewing and composing:

371BE357-671D-4DA0-A10C-1055019EE5B7.jpg

18F07B18-80E2-4CCE-8272-2704D2D0B3D1.jpg

51F48A4D-5AF7-42D2-A540-7310834A0734.jpg

457DD033-34CA-4CB4-BD8D-C687C4B948B8.jpg

5ADCD6A8-8E3F-4124-B191-DDD5F0FB9EDE.jpg

09EE28B2-2F02-4E31-8830-CA28FD41E68E.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I must mention my thoughts on the mere 12MP of this Olympus camera. As a reference, some of my best work was with the Canon 1D II which bosted 8MP, a high ranking pixel
Packed sensor at that time!

So 12MP is really abundant!

....and that trick of removing the card before the battery is a brilliant solution, How come the repair folk didn’t know!

Asher