• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Tell us how OPF loads now?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks, Doug! Why on earth doesn't anyone else give their report! Especially we need times from the folks outside of the United States!

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Seems snappy here. Like Doug, I can't claim it's faster but it's certainly at least on par with the previous performance. Posting seems faster, as that had become occasionally very constipated.

I never had a problem here but it's definitely snappier. Task Manager reports that the site is able to to satisfy the demands of my 10 MegaBit connection.

The improvement is obvious when viewing this thred

Cem_Usakligil

Now that we've moved to a new server, what difference if any do you notice?
Hi Asher,

Any answer you're given right now will be based on the subjective experience of the members of this particular moment and hence statistically of lesser value. Consider the fact that before I came to the conclusion that the old site was consistently sluggish, I have observed the responsiveness I had been getting when I accessed OPF from various locations throughout Europe for months. Accordingly before I can tell you whether there is a difference due to the new site, I have to observe the response times at least for some while. Only then I can/shall tell you.

Thanks, Doug! Why on earth doesn't anyone else give their report! Especially we need times from the folks outside of the United States!

Asher
Simple, really. The DNS change has propagated to my provider only now. I know that Bart and Nicolas were also off-line as of this morning. I presume that there will be many members who are in the same situation.

Cheers,

PS: Many thanks to Sean for the hard work, well done.

Mike Bailey

pro member
The pages are loading more quickly. Previously there'd sometimes be a significant delay, particularly when loading 'Recent Posts', so this all seems helped by the move, at least in central U.S.A. via Charter and openDNS.

Mike

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Asher,

Any answer you're given right now will be based on the subjective experience of the members of this particular moment and hence statistically of lesser value. Consider the fact that before I came to the conclusion that the old site was consistently sluggish, I have observed the responsiveness I had been getting when I accessed OPF from various locations throughout Europe for months. Accordingly before I can tell you whether there is a difference due to the new site, I have to observe the response times at least for some while. Only then I can/shall tell you.

Simple, really. The DNS change has propagated to my provider only now. I know that Bart and Nicolas were also off-line as of this morning. I presume that there will be many members who are in the same situation.

Cheers,

PS: Many thanks to Sean for the hard work, well done.

Exactly!

for now -let's cross fingers- it is just like night and day…

DNS aren't propagated till here for now, but I use an alternate URL to the new server …

Now that we've moved to a new server, what difference if any do you notice?

I checked again just now (approx. 15:30h UTC-1), the DNS has propagated, and everything looks fine sofar. The prior connection was not too bad (although a bit slower the last couple of days), but it seems faster now (loading a thread with many images).

Cheers,
Bart

Thanks. I am not. I am still not on.

Code:
dig openphotographyforums.com

Still returns the old DNS. I am running off of the test URL.

thanks for the heads up,

Sean

I'm on! I can say, after reading some posts since the DNS was changed, that loading is significantly faster. Very nice.

Thanks for the work Sean, well done! :)

Cheers,
Bart

Thanks. I am not. I am still not on.

Code:
dig openphotographyforums.com

Still returns the old DNS. I am running off of the test URL.

thanks for the heads up,

Sean

I'm on! I can say, after reading some posts since the DNS was changed, that loading is significantly faster. Very nice.

Cheers,
Bart

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
am still out ;-( !

I'm in ! :)

I'll see tomorrow morning local time about the speed, early morning has been very low for a long while…

Great work Sean! thanks for that! I know moving such a db may become a nightmare, but you managed it more than well… Magistral !

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Seems plenty snappy enough for me in the UK.

Can't say I ever had problems previously, but certainly loading quickly at the moment.

Good work,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi guys,

It's important to keep returning top this thread to report how things are working. We'd like to learn of any particular difficulties like loading a thread with many posts and images drawn from servers all over the place. We're now on on a new and more service-orientated quality server, but have not, as yet, migrated files to a cloud storage for the delivering of pages top you. Taking that step requires that we see an issue that has to be solved. So right now, everything seems to be working and we just will hold the next step as one we can take any time we need.

Asher

Cheers,
Bart

Merci Bart. <smile> It took me until this morning to get the DNS change propagation, so I am thankful for the responses. Doug's reply solved my stress very early on and left me with exhaustion.

all the best,

Sean

the whole site is faster and more responsive

Subjectively, the goal here is to reduce overall load times under load. This will not be apparent until we get more active simultaneous users.

Currently I am getting load times under 2 seconds, while this morning on the old where I was the sole user, I was getting responses over two seconds.

I will be pulling the JavaScript libraries back to the server from the CDN shortly.

Bernhard Rees

Without being able to give this feedback based on hard numbers the performance of OPF has improved significantly on my computer. This makes OPF much more user friendly - thanks for your effort!

Bernhard