• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Survival of the unfit

Doug Kerr

The day before yesterday, 2012.05.08, was my 76th birthday, and in recognition of that I will tell a personal anecdote.

My late first wife was afflicted with degenerative arthritis of her right hip, and had the hip rebuilt and later replaced (eventually several times). She was in persistent serious discomfort.

In 1968, she expressed a strong interest in our relocating to the US Southwest, where she felt that the "dry" climate would ease her discomfort. (It turns out that the beneficial property is not the low humidity but rather the low short-term variation in barometric pressure.)

I was at the time working at Bell Telephone Laboratories, in Holmdel, New Jersey. Originally, my going there was the fulfillment of a lifetime dream - the telephone business had been my hobby, as well as my profession, and I had been summoned to the presence of the gods.

But I had a love-hate relationship with the Bell Telephone System. As an aficionado, I greatly admired and enjoyed its high degree of organization and the thoroughness and precision with which it did everything (and I emulated that in my personal technical life). But as an employee, I chafed under that same regimentation, and by 1968 I had gotten myself seriously "crosswise" with the Bell Laboratories management on several fronts.

So the prospect of perhaps changing employers in the wake of relocation loomed as reasonable.

A respected friend and colleague at Bell Laboratories had been stationed in Albuquerque, New Mexico, when in the US Navy (he was a nuclear weapons handler). When I mentioned our interest in relocation to the Southwest, he spoke highly of his experience in Albuquerque, and that directed our attention to that location.

On a trip to Manhattan for a standards meeting, I stopped into a newsstand that specialized in out-of-town papers, and bought an Albuquerque paper. In the classified ads, I saw a small ad that said "inventor wanted". Intrigued, I contacted the company. It was a start-up research and development firm formed by a brilliant and respected engineer, Don Wilkes, from Sandia Laboratories, to commercially exploit a novel electromechanical component - the Rolamite - he had devised. It was thought that this component would do the same thing for mechanism design that the transistor did for electronic circuit design. (It actually didn't, but that is not to demean Wilkes' brilliance in the basic invention and his extraordinary work in visualizing and describing literally hundreds of ingenious applications.)

In late 1968, I arranged to visit with Wilkes in Albuquerque for an interview. I was very excited about what they were up to, and really liked what I saw of the town.

As I was leaving town, at the airport I called Wilkes to tell him that I had enjoyed the interview and was quite interested in joining the new firm. He said that yes, he had enjoyed the interview as well, and was very impressed by my knowledge and insight, but he had one concern. I was at the time (as today) not exactly physically fit. I was overweight and got little exercise. (I was 32 at the time.)

Wilkes said that they of course foresaw this firm having a very long period of existence and importance, and he (quite a fitness exponent himself, and was 37 at the time) was reticent about inviting in as a key player in this immortal enterprise someone whose lack of fitness might lead to a modest life expectancy.

I thanked him for his candor and went back home. About a week later, Wilkes called me and said, well, how would I like to join their firm. He had apparently decided that the actuarial risk was not a deal breaker.

I did join the firm (by then called Rolamite, Inc.), and the family moved to Albuquerque early in 1969. The environment there, in many respects, was so different from that I had previously experienced in the Midwest and the East Coast, but I loved it. I was very happy there. It was where I developed the love for New Mexico that eventually, over 40 years later, helped propel us to Alamogordo.

Don Wilkes was a fine fellow, and I enjoyed working with him and with my other colleagues there. He was a scientist, engineer, inventor, and skilled craftsman.

Sadly, after two years of operation, the firm had not become a financial success, and went out of operation. My best opportunity for continued employment was with an industrial controls firm in New Jersey (actually a client of Rolamite), and so we moved back to the East Coast, about which I was very bitter for many years.

So much for Rolamite, Inc.'s immortality.

Don Wilkes died in 1996 at the age of 65.

Best regards,

Doug

Jerome Marot

I had no idea what a "rolamite" was, so I searched:

4057.16.rolamite.jpg

http://www.rexresearch.com/wilkes/1wilkes.htm

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Hi, Tom,

Each reader is free to draw what he will from my writings.

Best regards,

Doug

Come on Doug, you can be less evasive than that. I know what my drawing is. I was wondering why you spent so much effort giving us such a story. It sounds very much like an 'I told you so' story.
The bloke is dead for fuch sake. Rubbing salt into his wounds will do neither of you any good; he because he won't know and you for the same reason. I'm sure you are aware that the way we live our lives is far more important than how long we live. Both of you may have been equally content with what has been achieved and just before the last breath is drawn I doubt whether either of you will give the life of the other another thought.
Unless you're a spiteful bastard and let all his relative know you got one up on him.
Cheers
Tom

Hi Doug, fascinating essay! I also did some digging around to learn more about rolamite but couldn't find anything about why the company was not successful. Well, at least not so far, anyway.

Regarding actuarial concerns; they become a greater factor as the pages of the calendar flip by. These days I'm much more likely to take advantage of a photo op than in the past. When I turned 60 earlier this year, the notion "I'll photograph this next time..." began to make much less sense.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Tom,

Hi Doug, fascinating essay! I also did some digging around to learn more about rolamite but couldn't find anything about why the company was not successful.

Rolamite's business model was this. They would contract with a manufacturing firm to develop a rolamite-based improved mechanism for one of the company's products (perhaps a switch, or a target rifle trigger mechanism), or, less frequently, a wholly new product for the client company. A feasibility prototype would be designed and constructed. Rolamite would charge a modest fee for this work, but their real income would come from royalties (under Rolamite's patents) the client company would pay on the improved products sold.

But it turned out that at each of the client companies there was a great sense of "not invented here", and a sense of not wanting to risk an important new product on a startlingly-new concept, both of which resisted the actual pursuit of the new product concept.

Then result was that for all practical purposes not a single client company actually put into production a rolamite-based new form of their product. In one case (a very large electrical component manufacturer), the contractual arrangement provided for a substantial minimum ongoing "minimum royalty" that would be due even if no rolamite-based products were made, but the contractual language had been bungled during the whirlwind negotiations and so in fact it turned out that Rolamite was not due any such payment in lieu of royalties.

Rolamite had made an initial public stock offering and raised several million dollars in operating capital. They had about one million left in cash when it became clear that their business model would not be viable. The company was sold to another firm in exchange for stock in the other firm. The other firm got Rolamite's patents and the million in cash.

The principal owners of Rolamite (and its directors) were the founders (Wilkes and another fellow, the "marketing and finance" member of the founding team), whose "founders shares" were granted to them for their services in founding the firm and had been split many times, so they owned a lot of shares, the preponderance of those outstanding even after the public offering.

Of course, they could not freely sell those "restricted" shares (which had a substantial "theoretical" worth), but they could more freely sell the shares of the other firm they acquired in the acquisition. Thus the acquisition was financially beneficial to those owners. I described the transaction as "XYZ Corporation bought Rolamite, and they used Rolamite's money to do it."

I joined Rolamite after having spent the preponderance of my professional career in the (pre-divestiture) Bell Telephone System. I had little knowledge of (and little interest in) the world of corporate marketing and finance, of public stock offerings and acquisitions. I had never realized how entrepreneurs could become quite wealthy even in the throes of failure of their enterprise's business purpose. The Rolamite adventure opened my eyes a lot!

I don't mean in the slightest to suggest that this latter was among Wilkes' motivations, or aspirations, in founding the firm. I'm sure the prospect was not lost on his co-founder.

By the way, there is an interesting aspect of the founding of Rolamite which I skipped over for conciseness in my first narrative.

In the late 1960's, there was growing resentment of the role of the "military-industrial complex", an aspect of the growing anti-war sentiment. Sandia Laboratories was principally involved in the development of weapons systems (prominently nuclear weapons). It was the largest nominally-civilian employer in the Albuquerque area.

The company management was very concerned by the spectre of angry mobs marching on their establishment (as had happened, for example, to Dow Chemical over their development and manufacture of the incendiary agent napalm). To help defuse this sentiment, they strove to publicly emphasize the many valuable contributions to non-military society that came from their research and development work. (Sandia, operated at the time by an arm of Western Electric Company, and thus actually a part of the Bell Telephone System, was in fact modeled somewhat on Bell Telephone Laboratories.)

Eventually, the Sandia management decided that, to more prominently illuminate this, it would be nice if some commercial firms, hopefully in the Albuquerque area, would spring up to exploit Sandia's inventions in the civilian product sphere. They indicated that they were prepared to give considerable assistance and support to firms of that stripe, perhaps even founded by Sandia staff members, who would leave Sandia on good terms to do this.

Don Wilkes' invention seem like a great centerpiece for such a "spin-off", and what became Rolamite, Inc. emerged. Wilkes had been a member of the "Inventor's Club" at Sandia, which from time to time had speakers from industry on various topics. One such speaker, talking on entrepreneurship, commercial marketing, and the like, was later contacted by Wilkes' to be co-founder of Rolamite. (Wilkes, perhaps somewhat like myself at the time, was probably not really strong in those topics, and recognized the need for someone fluent in those areas in the firm.)

The rest, as the say, was history.

In any case, it was an extraordinary adventure.

Returning to the "point" of my anecdote, about which I have been challenged here, let me say that I am pleased to be alive today and am sad that neither Rolamite, Inc. nor its extraordinary founder, Don Wilkes, are.

Best regards,

Doug

This is an incredible story, Doug. The additional details effectively closes the essay and provides a neat view of corporate business. Thank you!

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jerome,

Are products using the rolamite principle still used today?
I really don't know. There were really few if any actually used, at least in a commercial context. There may in fact have been rolamite-based acceleration detectors used in nuclear weapons systems (Wilkes' original motivation). Possible the same might have been true of some early automotive air bag control systems, but I'm not sure.

One "visible" commercial product that did exist was a postal scale. The rolamite principle was used to suspend the platform so that it could move vertically but not tilt, there being negligible friction with respect to the vertical motion.

An important tenet of Wilkes' overall concept was that precisely-controlled spring forces could be imparted to the moving cluster (as we might want to do in an acceleration sensor) by having the net width of the retaining band vary along its length (as for example by having a tapered slot in the center of the band). It would have been nice to have this in the postal scale, but practical design considerations led to its instead having a conventional coil tension spring, working through a cord (or tiny chain) onto a wheel attached to one of the moving members.

This product was not actually developed for a client but was initially "sponsored" by Rolamite, Inc. itself. The detailed design was done by an outside firm.

The postal scale system was designed by Rolamite engineer Carlton W. Sprague, formerly of Sandia Laboratories (his primary work there was actually in the field of explosives). I proposed the basic suspension concept used in the scale to Sprague during a brainstorming session at his blackboard. Sprague, however, is the sole patentee for the scale system, a result of a Rolamite policy in which only the project engineer for a system would be considered to be the inventor when the patent application was filed.

Sprague, incidentally, is considered the inventor of the "implosion" system used to destroy obsolete buildings (later commercially refined by the Loizeaux firm).

Sandia Laboratories had been asked by the public housing authority of a major US city to find a safe way to level a large, dense housing project whose design proved to be unsuitable from a social dynamics standpoint, but which had been built to last forever.​

Sprague, as a young engineer at Sandia, had been an acolyte of George Kistiakowski, who in the 1940's developed the "implosion" scheme for detonating a plutonium nuclear weapon. It was used in the "Fat Man" bomb used at Nagasaki, Japan, in 1945 (and first tested just about three weeks earlier very near my current home in Alamogordo, New Mexico).

The first nuclear weapon used in war, at Hiroshima, Japan (the "Little Boy" design), used a "gun" principle, which had never been tested at the time, there not having been enough refined uranium-235 to build a test unit and still be able to build an actual tactical unit on the time schedule desired. The designers considered its method of operation "foolproof". It did work on the first pull.

The gun-type principle was not workable for a plutonium bomb; neutron emissions from the ongoing spontaneous fission of plutonium-240, unavoidably included in the fissile mass (mostly plutonium-239) as a consequence of the technique used for refinement, would precipitate a premature, and relatively-feeble, chain reaction of the plutonium-239 as the two portions of the fissile mass approached, destroying the mass before the full reaction could occur.​

It is amazing how all these things weave together.

Best regards,

Doug

Martin Evans

Good evening Doug - and a slightly tardy "Happy Birthday" to you.

I enjoyed reading your initial "anecdote" and the follow-ups. One of the thoughts that re-surfaced in my mind is that, however focussed one may be on a career path, ultimately chance so often plays the deciding factor.

As for fitness: I have never made any effort to keep fit, but thanks to the chance of good genetics I have gained only a few pounds since the age of about 20 - and I am more than 60 years beyond that age now. My only real grumble is that it takes me longer to void a pint of beer than to drink it.

Many Happy Returns of the Day, Doug!

Martin