• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Fun: Shooting without a Pentax 645D from an helicopter

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Just for fun ;)

And no, the camera is not a Pentax 645D, but a NEX 5. The helicopter would not lift the 645D.

Jerome,

Hmm! What else can the 'copter carry?

I have always thought that aerial pictures can make interesting art! So where's the helicopter? Can we have a picture of the setup? :)

Asher

Michael Nagel

Aerial views reveal patterns otherwise not noticed.
Yann Arthus-Bertrand's work has shown this in an impressive way.
New Project?

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Aerial views reveal patterns otherwise not noticed.
Yann Arthus-Bertrand's work has shown this in an impressive way.
New Project?

Best regards,
Michael

So Michael,

Do you have one such helicopter or you borrowed it? I'd like to see how it's setup! Thanks for the reference to Yann Arthus-Bertrand. I'll look it up.

Asher

Jerome Marot

Hmm! What else can the 'copter carry?

I have always thought that aerial pictures can make interesting art! So where's the helicopter? Can we have a picture of the setup? :)

I'll try to take a picture of the setup, but it will take a few days.. It is a small quadrocopter onto which I attached a NEX-5 camera taking video (this is just a frame extracted from the video, photographs would be much better). It can lift about a kilogram and the NEX is a third of that.

Beyond the humorous reference to Nicolas post, I wanted to remind that remote controlled platforms of this kind are becoming increasingly popular for filmmaking, because of the obvious savings compared to a real helicopter. More professional platforms in the 3-5 K€ range would have no problem lifting a 645D and the equipment for a video downlink allowing precise framing from the ground.

Jerome Marot

The basic structure is a kit (DJI F450), the landing gear and the corks is my design. The corks protect the propellers. Flight time a bit less than 15 minutes with the camera. The camera is simply used as a camcorder, the original idea was to film the ground vertically from above. Most people use a gopro camera, which are much smaller and lighter.

The main limitation is the wind, because the whole machine tilts when it needs to accelerate and the fixed camera tilts with it. I am building another one where the camera would be stabilized and the platform controlled by GPS.

The magic allowing these machines to fly is done in the electronic controller. There is a controller named ardupilot using free software and I'll use that controller for the next kit. It can also be used with fixed wings airplanes, which can fly much longer with bigger loads.