• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

20D, 40D and the 5D shootout!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Michael Reichman at Luminous Landscape had a quick test of the 40D and was impressed that the Image Quality (IQ) approached that of the 5D! This was followed by disbelief in a certain user forum.

MR points to this new side by side test at Wyofoto.com by Miles Hecker, a long time photographer and teacher. What do you think?

Asher

Diane Fields

Even though I love the 5D, I never really had too much reason to not think they would be close this go round. The 5D is now 2 years old and I would have just assumed that Canon would upgrade the 40D to close to that technology, esp. ISO wise. I still prefer the 5D for the simple fact that it is FF. For those that that isn't a factor--then they would probably be wise to look closely at a 40D if they are ready to do an upgrade.

Diane

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I like the idea of the 40D for taking pics of animals where I want the extra reach and not to have to spend a lot more on lenses. I sold my 300 2.8 L but with my 70-200 2.8L the reach is not there with my 5D. The 1DII is better at x1.2 but the 40D at 1.6 really adds!

Asher

Off topic: I would love the 500 f4 and be done with it, but that's a lot of money! Still the pictures by John Harper at the Wildlife Heritage Foundation in the U.K. have got me thinking!

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Off topic: I would love the 500 f4 and be done with it, but that's a lot of money! Still the pictures by John Harper at the Wildlife Heritage Foundation in the U.K. have got me thinking!

Yes they are beautiful!

What about this one too :

_G8A3048.jpg

[EDIT] Hoops! sorry this was shot with a 1DsMk2…[/EDIT]

Ray West

Hi Asher,

side by side test at Wyofoto.com by Miles Hecker, a long time photographer and teacher. What do you think?
Personally, I feel it would have been fairer to have kept the 5d at the same distance. I expect the 40d would have wiped the floor with it, wrt resolution/image sharpness. the 20/30d had the highest pixel density, (and all that implies) iirc, now that is beaten.

Best wishes,

Ray

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
When will the next FF come out?

I think that the 30d-5d-IId are the past generation
the 40-M3D and the next generation (6d?) will all have basis to compare
Comparing the 5d with the 40d are apples and oranges.