• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Self Portrait of Me!

Charlotte Thompson

well a friend of mine is a shrink and does some phtography
he says he can't find the ME in my shots of me that are colored my style*-that it is a way for society to mask over with added colors instead of the so called* real *
sort of an explotation if you will-
of course I disagree and add color not to mask but to enhance other beauty that I see*
a good conversation for sure*

C*

Rachel Foster

Ah, well, shrinks......you know. Tsk.

All kidding aside, what does he think is "you?" Does he want "realism" in the image? Perhaps "you" IS the color you add, the stylistic changes you make? When you write poetry, does he find "you" in that also?

My point is that I disagree with your friend. You are expressing -- or rather exposing -- you and doing so quite clearly. What he may really be saying is that you are not expressing you in the particular form he prefers.

Charlotte Thompson

Rachel

yes that he is- he is a very talented published writer as well and we go on and on about my writes from time to time- I did explain to him just exactly what you think as I do too-
I am the art-the art is me-
yes you are so insightful Rachel- he does always want in my writing and now in my photo art to be what he wants to see but he is such a good friend retired now from shrinking people except me*
thank you I feel better that you understand that side or thinking that The Art is That Person
so simple really but sigh shrinks always get way complicated-

Rachel Foster

Yes, pesky buggers that they are. (Waiting for Michael to weigh in on this...neither of us a are shrinks, but ...)

Now, as to the larger question hinted at, is he suggesting that you use color to hide behind? And that women in general find ways to hide due to cultural pressures? Has he examined similar treatments by male photographers and does he feel the same?

If not, perhaps it is not a question of "women and art" but rather that he treasures the way he sees you and wants the world to see you as he does? Is it personal rather than the cultural "cliche" suggested?

Charlotte Thompson

Rachel

You see with beautiful eyes my friend, I think it is a bit of both- he's a brilliant mind and I've known him for about more than 10 years. I think he is thinking for sure I am hiding due to culture issues and women. Alhough I don't hide-I feel I am exposing many facets of the art-in my own way
either way he always manages to push my buttons- either way I respect his thoughts though he knows I go thru hair pulling after our conversations*

C*

Last edited by a moderator: