• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New picture

Mike Shimwell

Hi

Following my introduction I thought I'd post a brand new picture that, if I'm honest, is a bit out of my norm. I've been looking for new ways to express ideas and feeling and shot this whilst out at about midnight the other day. At this time I've not titled it, in order not to lead your impressions.

Mike

2432291457_eb09eab62c_o.jpg

Mike,

Welcome to the forum. I am trying to form impressions of your photo. Perhaps I could say there are strong design elements: simple color pallete, leading lines and a bit of mystery. It does intrigue on first viewing; is thre a figure in the darkness? But I am not sure it would be something I would return to. Of course the "return to" sets a very high bar.

-Nat

Ray West

Hi Mike,

Welcome too. You are right, it is a bit different than your website images. If you put a link in your signature, to http://www.sojournerphotography.co.uk/ There are a few folk here that are interested in your neck of the woods.

With the image above, I would see it more as a pencil sketch, maybe push it further that way, I don't know without trying. The sort of thing I would have tried to print on a matt paper from 'Eric Fishwick' - I think that was the name, - many years ago. A sort of illustration to a detective novel...

Best wishes,

Ray

Charlotte Thompson

I really enjoyed looking at this
especially the bottom pan out-it gives such an expression of a kind of freedom-the colors are exciting
the picture seems to continually move for me and I like that it does-like taking a ride you can't or don't want to get off of

Charlotte

Mike Shimwell

Thanks for your comments all.

Nat, yes there is a figure under the light - even in a 14 inch print he is quite sketchy, but there is a nice impression of movement. You may be right about having enough to draw you back - perhaps I'll put one up next time I exhibit.

Ray, thanks for your comment - the pencil sketch analogy is perfect, though I'm not sure how to take that further (any ideas:)) I hadn't thought of printing it on matt paper as my initial thought was that the blacks are important, but thinking about it that may work really well, so I give it a shot on something with some light texture. Thanks.

Charlotte, thanks for your kind comment. I'm pleased that you like it.

Mike.

Mike Shimwell

Printed

After Ray's comment I spent some time printing this on photorag. Because of the saturation of the colours it took some effort in soft proofing, but I finished up with a 16 inch square print that really pleases me. The textures and noise have been retained and it has a 'sketchlike' quality on paper that is (perhaps unusually) consistent with my thoughts when I took the photo.

Thanks for your input.

Mike