• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Birds on Wires

Chris Kresser

Living in the city I am often struck by the contrast between isolation and communication, man-made structures and natural forms, and the emotional and psychological polarities that these symbols represent.

My neighborhood is strewn with telephone wires installed haphazardly decades ago and never upgraded. They are obtrusive and ugly. And yet, as I paid closer attention, I began to notice that these wires offered a resting place for the local birds whose song I have come to enjoy so much. The wires and the birds that perch on them represent for me the visual meeting ground of the tensions I feel living in the city.

I am aware that the simplicity and graphic quality of this series will not appeal to everyone. However, I'm curious to know how they affect you, if at all, and what you like or don't like about the series. I'd also like to know which of the images stand out for you, and why.

Thank you for your feedback.

Chris

** The first three images in the series are here. The second three are in the following post.

2526862542_0f72508a73_o.jpg

2513761957_20b49b62aa_o.jpg

2526042227_4f9793a9d5_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Michel BRAUD

I am very much concerned with the same, so I enjoy all six pictures. My preference would go to 1 and 5 and specially the 5th.
The bird is big enough to be identified as a bird and be the obvious subject, on some others we could search for what could have been the purpose of the shot if taken separetly from the serie.
Then the clouds have the same size as the pigeon but with the opposite tone, just lovely for it to stand out. The rest of the composition is just nice.
Definetly the serie enhance each picture.

Michel

Hi Chris,

The 6 form an interesting set. Several use the wires as diagonal design elements. The sky also figures prominently. The dark birds seem insignificant; perhaps you intended that as a comment? The result is evocative, raising questions in my mind that are not answered. Photographically, I think they would gain in interest if the sky was more insteresting.

-Nat

Living in the city I am often struck by the contrast between isolation and communication, man-made structures and natural forms, and the emotional and psychological polarities that these symbols represent.

My neighborhood is strewn with telephone wires installed haphazardly decades ago and never upgraded. They are obtrusive and ugly. And yet, as I paid closer attention, I began to notice that these wires offered a resting place for the local birds whose song I have come to enjoy so much. The wires and the birds that perch on them represent for me the visual meeting ground of the tensions I feel living in the city.

I am aware that the simplicity and graphic quality of this series will not appeal to everyone. However, I'm curious to know how they affect you, if at all, and what you like or don't like about the series. I'd also like to know which of the images stand out for you, and why.

Thank you for your feedback.

Chris

** The first three images in the series are here. The second three are in the following post.

2526862542_0f72508a73_o.jpg

2513761957_20b49b62aa_o.jpg

2526042227_4f9793a9d5_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Kresser

Thank you Nathaniel and Michel for your feedback. As I work more on this series I'm starting to get a clearer sense of what direction to take.

Best,
Chris

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Chris,

Send me a PM with the post number (top right hand corner of each post box) and provide the correct URL for the all images and I'll replace everything with your latest URLs so all the links will work perfectly!

Asher