• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Flowers By The Wayside: Leaf with complex veins (ie not tulips, orchids, grass etc)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
These flowers started in a super popular thread for all wayside flowers, here. This new thread will be devoted just to dicots, such as roses, daisies, snapdragons and all other flowers that have leaves with branching veins. This means that flowers from plants with with parallel veins in their leaves like grasses, lillies, orchids, palms, birds of paradise and so forth go here instead!

As an example, these 2 blooms below belong with the irises and daffodils, don't belong here!

They come from relatives of the grass families with long leaves with parallel veins, and are called monocots, and are welcome right here

_I6E9347irises400.jpg
_I6E9343orangeflower400.jpg

Hope you enjoy them and have your own to post. Say what the weather is like and where you are located!

Asher

Last edited:

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
From The Huntington Library and Museum

Asher,

One of my photo projects is flowers and from my travels. This is not a good challenge since I have many flowers from all over my travels - Alaska, Tahiti, Hawaii, Portugal, Spain, France, Mexico, Costa Rica, England, New England, Canada and even California....I will stop here.

73930162.nBiasdFg.jpg

I was at the Huntington Library in San Marino (Near Pasadena) a few weeks ago with the LA Shooters. This is a Magnolia Flower - still on the tree taken with my Canon Macro 100 at 3.5 @250

Last edited by a moderator:

Will Thompson

A few more of my flower shots.

_V4Z0493_PSac.jpg

EF 85-mm f1.2L 1/200 sec. at f8 ISO 800 1DmkII

_V4Z0495_PSac.jpg

EF 85-mm f1.2L 1/200 sec. at f8 ISO 800 1DmkII

VX8Y3356PSAC.jpg

FD 500-mm f8 mirror at 1/1000 sec. ISO 1250 FD to EOS adapter 1DsmkII

Holly Cawfield

A lovely thread Asher!

Your Bird of Paradise Flower is quite striking. It's a very different angle and it looks as if it's rocketing into spring! The irises are lovely...windblown by the spring breezes and very beautiful.

Ron, I really like the way you've photographed a traditional bridal bouquet and given it such a contemporary feel. I should think if this photo was posted in flower shops, the Martha Stewart style of small posies so in vogue during the last few years would revert very quickly to this lovely cathedral arrangement! Wonderful the way you've given this such a fresh aspect.

Asher, you asked about the weather. Well here in Canada the snow has melted and spring is attempting to make an entrance. We're at that stage when the damp greys and browns have an intriguing colour all their own ...which is an optimist's way of looking at the rather drab colours that precede tulips, crocus, daffodils and hyacinth. :-D

About two weeks ago it was terribly cold. The frost on the windows was thick enough I couldn't see the house next door so while I was out I stopped into a florist's shop and picked up this pot of tiny pink flowers, the name of which even the florist didn't know. It was a 'need for pink' that day until the bulbs begin to sprout. :)

PottedRosesimg4732-600px.jpg

Asher Kelman

All great.

However, Tom, I really like the hues and textures on the last one. There's a great deal of delicacy comning from a simple potted plant. Was this on the wayside, or you cheated!

The open gate is nice and really seems like you were shooting it as you apssed.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Nikolai,

Once again you show the disbelievers the prowess of the 100-400, from airplanes to Civil War pictures to flowers. This can be very sharp. In the last picture the leaves are very sharp but are the flowers? Could you comment on the DOF?

Asher

Asher,

Nikolai,

Once again you show the disbelievers the prowess of the 100-400, from airplanes to Civil War pictures to flowers. This can be very sharp. In the last picture the leaves are very sharp but are the flowers? Could you comment on the DOF?

Asher

Thanks!

The two big differences between these two shots are the distance and the background.
In both cases 100-400 was wide open (f/5.6 at 400).

Chestnut tree: about 25 ft away, the rest is the skies...
Cherry: about 100 ft away, with the rest of the tree and steet on the back. Obviously DOF is about 3-4 times larger, it's the sheer law of optics...

By "by the wayside" I assume you mean "spontaneous" images, not in a studio setup? here are four of mine:

Pink_and_Green_by_philosomatographer.jpg

Pink_by_philosomatographer.jpg

(both with Canon 28-300L)

In natural light (I don't own a flash)

Since there was no snow today, I am guessing spring is near........ Just checkin to see what the neighbors were blooming...... found this guy...
large.jpg

Will Thompson

A few shots from my latest safari.

Will_Thompson_C_2008_012K2377PSac.jpg

135MM f2.0L 1/8000 f2.0 ISO 200 1DsMKIII

Will_Thompson_C_2008_012K2386PSac.jpg

Brandon Jones

A few from today,

I never really take pictures of flowers and plants, but something about the 75 degree weather just told me to take a few, so here are the best i took, All taken with a cool Pix Nikon 8mgpx none using flash, all natural light.

DSCN0815.jpg

DSCN0817.jpg

DSCN0820.jpg

DSCN0818.jpg

Coments always Welcome!!

BJ

Will Thompson

2 more shots from my latest safari.

Will_Thompson_C_2008_012K2402PSac.jpg

135MM f2.0L 1/1000 f5.6 ISO 200 1DsMKIII

Will_Thompson_C_2008_012K2412PSac.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

Gone with the wind...

Well, not exactly a flower, but it was by the wayside ;-)

Here today, gone (with the wind) tomorrow:
flower1.jpg

Cheers,

Cem

Asher Kelman

Cem,

I like the sharp but selective focus. This in short represents a lot of modern humanity. It's lost it's innocence, has mixed up sex and offspring can fly.

Asher

BTW, what lens?

Asher Kelman

Hi Cem,

On this computer I can only see it's a very small focal length. My CS2 and iview are on other computers. About 13mm if I remember right so I expect this is the G9 in Macro mode?

Pretty good, I'd say! I don't see any lens issues. I like it very much. did I guess right?

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Cem,

On this computer I can only see it's a very small focal length. My CS2 and iview are on other computers. About 13mm if I remember right so I expect this is the G9 in Macro mode?

Pretty good, I'd say! I don't see any lens issues. I like it very much. did I guess right?

Asher
Spot on! It is taken with my brand new G9 indeed <grin>. Amazing for such a compact camera/sensor/lens combo, isn't it?

Cheers,

Cem

Mike Shimwell

A very quick snap taken the other day when out with the children and dog.
Not a flower, but the light was lovely although the execution isn't actually all that good!

2483371260_01b995b3fa_o.jpg

Mike

Ron Morse

Since you said by the wayside, not a planed studio shot.

I shot this, I don't know what, growing all over my lawn. Its 3/4" at most across.

40D
CZJ flektogon 35mm f/2.4. Its getting hard for these eyes to manual focus.

_MG_4405.jpg

Ron Morse

Since you said by the wayside, not a planed studio shot.

I shot this, I don't know what, growing all over my lawn. Its 3/4" at most across.

40D
CZJ flektogon 35mm f/2.4. Its getting hard for these eyes to manual focus.

_MG_4405.jpg

Asher Kelman

Ron, I love the color. What are those interesting little white projections?

I don't know the name of that flower.

I am interested in you use of the Carl Zeiss Jenna 2.4 lens. What adapter are you using?

Asher

Asher Kelman

I am interested in you use of the Carl Zeiss Jenna 2.4 lens. What adapter are you using?

Asher

Ron Morse

Asher

I assume the white projections are male female body parts.

The adapter m42 to EOS is from KAWA. They like you, are located in California. This lense is as sharp as any of my L glass. It will focus up to about 3 inches. I can only guess what you would have to pay for this lense if it were made today. I got it from Budapest Hungary from a guy named Attila. Very trustworthy and honest seller. Took 9 days to get it.

I post this at the Nikon forum, but, before Asher moves it I will bring it here myself, after all it doesn't use more server space...

This flowers only come this time of the year, that is what Yoriko, my wife said, and commissioned an image of them, really lovely, will find out the name and more about them...

BAR_flo.jpg