• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Apologies about colours. Fixed now.

Graham Mitchell

I just spent the weekend fixing a colour problem which was due to a strange Photoshop quirk. Using an external monitor, Photoshop was using the laptop colour profile rather than the monitor's profile (despite the system settings). This meant that all recent files were totally out of calibration when posted on the web. Have now resolved the problem by switching the laptop screen's profile to match the profile of external monitor, and creating a new calibration using an Eye One Display 2 puck with ColorEyes. Big improvement and I have gone back and edited half my website folio and many of the pictures posted here.

Should all be better now. All images posted are sRGB with colour profile embedded, and should be viewed on calibrated monitor with gamma of 2.2.

Mac users note: Mac uses a non-standard gamma setting. It is recommend you switch to 2.2 which has become the web standard.

Firefox users note: Firefox 3 offers colour management but I don't think it is activated by default. Type "about:config" in the address bar, the type "gfx" in the filter bar. You should then make sure that colour management is set to "true". If you have to change this setting, I believe you need to restart Firefox.

You can check your browser status here: http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html

And test the state of your monitor's calibration here: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Graham,

These appear to be two great resources. Often we just take for granted that everyone is on board with color, but people can be all over the place. One thing I try to avoid using my MacBook Pro is anything but white and black points and using the gray card to remove color casts but no other color adjustments by eye. For that, the best thing to do is use the higher end profiled monitor, which in my case is the Eizo, now 4 years old but going strong!

Asher