• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Panamanian food

Ruben Alfu

This is a sketch for a photo series about Panamanian food. Probably this might develop to a book project. I'm considering this kind of still life as a way to departure from traditional folkloric imagery and come closer to current trends in food photography. I want to be true to both, the local gastronomy and the cultural environment in Panama. I still have to make up my mind, among other things, about the lighting style. For this photo I used flash and natural light.

Well, C&C very appreciated!

Ruben

20110808_IMG_0230-2_flat_web.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Pixbae

P.D. Pixbae (palm peach) is a popular fruit in tropical countries in Latin America. You can eat it boiled, with butter, and it makes a delicious soup!

Nice!

Very elegant.

When predesigning a theme, make sure it's extensible to accommodate all the kinds of foods you will be including.

Will this overhead view with fairly direct soft lighting work for cooked food, or for raw fish?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nice!

Very elegant.

When predesigning a theme, make sure it's extensible to accommodate all the kinds of foods you will be including.

Will this overhead view with fairly direct soft lighting work for cooked food, or for raw fish?

Charles,

That's funny that you ask that. My question was, "How did you mount them on the wall like that?" Well, of course it was taken on a table from above, but the picture looks like it's totally on a wall, like a framed picture.

Ruben,

I love this idea and the vegetables lend themselves well to great designs.

You take great pictures of kids heads and wonderful hair. I was wondering whether one could get the panamanian heads in the picture, so the food and the people relate to one another like this:

nude-with-calla-lilies-1944.jpg

Diego Rivera: Nude with Calla Lillies

Painting, completed 1944

Just musing!

Asher

Ruben Alfu

Nice!

Very elegant.

Hi Charles, thanks very much!

You are pointing out very important considerations. I'll have to experiment more to see how the concept evolves. I may take some creative license in favor of the pictorial attributes of the food and its cultural context.

Regards,

Ruben

Ruben Alfu

Asher, thanks so much for your input! What a coincidence that I have a sort of derivation of Rivera's painting at home! (I'm curious, what's your longest tele? LOL)

_MG_3156.jpg

The idea of incorporating people is quite attractive, in fact, I'm planning to do this for my food photography portfolio as lifestyle photos in general have great demand. In the context of the Panamanian food project, I would need to mature the idea much more. "Nude with Calla Lilies" is a great reference!

Regards,

Ruben

Asher Kelman

Asher, thanks so much for your input! What a coincidence that I have a sort of derivation of Rivera's painting at home! (I'm curious, what's your longest tele? LOL)

My longest regular Eos tele is 200mm add extender x1.4, not very long reach. My longest lens is 47.5 inches, or 1206.5 mm!!! The longest lens I can use outside is a 600 mm on my 8x10 Chamonix, equivalent to a 75mm lens in 35mm mindset!

The idea of incorporating people is quite attractive, in fact, I'm planning to do this for my food photography portfolio as lifestyle photos in general have great demand. In the context of the Panamanian food project, I would need to mature the idea much more. "Nude with Calla Lilies" is a great reference!

Ruben,

Look through your pictures of children with hair against the light. These are remarkable and if you could get the hair of the locals to fit in with your images, that would exploit your natural talents and previous work.

Asher

fahim mohammed

This is a sketch for a photo series about Panamanian food. Probably this might develop to a book project. I'm considering this kind of still life as a way to departure from traditional folkloric imagery and come closer to current trends in food photography. I want to be true to both, the local gastronomy and the cultural environment in Panama. I still have to make up my mind, among other things, about the lighting style. For this photo I used flash and natural light.

Well, C&C very appreciated!

Ruben

20110808_IMG_0230-2_flat_web.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Pixbae

P.D. Pixbae (palm peach) is a popular fruit in tropical countries in Latin America. You can eat it boiled, with butter, and it makes a delicious soup!

Ruben, elegant with lovely colors. Other than that I like it, I am not qualified to suggest anything else.

Regards.

Mike Shimwell

Ruben

If this is work for sale then you will need to go with your market, at least to some extent, but I would be careful that you do not let the images become too sterile. I appreciate your desire to avoid the folkloric (we would say 'cheesy') image style, but try to keep some sense of life as well.

This image is beautiful and the production is elegant, but it leaves me wanting something more (or maybe less perfection?).

I hope that's helpful too.

Mike

Ruben Alfu

Ruben, elegant with lovely colors. Other than that I like it, I am not qualified to suggest anything else.

Regards.

Thanks Fahim, I appreciate and respect your opinions very much!

Ruben

If this is work for sale then you will need to go with your market, at least to some extent, but I would be careful that you do not let the images become too sterile. I appreciate your desire to avoid the folkloric (we would say 'cheesy') image style, but try to keep some sense of life as well.

This image is beautiful and the production is elegant, but it leaves me wanting something more (or maybe less perfection?).

I hope that's helpful too.

Mike

Mike, thanks so much for your input, helpful indeed. Here's another image where I'm trying to present my interpretation of a traditional fruit in a contemporary context. I certainly wouldn't want the technique to overpower the theme and composition.

"... keep some sense of life as well" I'll be thinking about that while I continue maturing this idea.

Best,

Ruben

20110815_IMG_0418.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Pitahaya Roja

Cem_Usakligil

I have been enjoying these Ruben. Food photography is a very difficult and technically complex branch. But I am sure you will pull it off nicely.

Asher Kelman

Thanks Fahim, I appreciate and respect your opinions very much!

Mike, thanks so much for your input, helpful indeed. Here's another image where I'm trying to present my interpretation of a traditional fruit in a contemporary context. I certainly wouldn't want the technique to overpower the theme and composition.

"... keep some sense of life as well" I'll be thinking about that while I continue maturing this idea.

Best,

Ruben

20110815_IMG_0418.jpg

Ruben,

This is another interesting picture and you are off to a good series. I wonder whether the color and definition of the platter is too strong here. Maybe you night be open to considering a substitution by selecting and representing that color a softening it or substituting a more placid earth color. The high reflectivity of the china makes it too important and dominant. The subject is the food, not the plate!

Asher

Ruben Alfu

Ruben,

This is another interesting picture and you are off to a good series. I wonder whether the color and definition of the platter is too strong here. Maybe you night be open to considering a substitution by selecting and representing that color a softening it or substituting a more placid earth color. The high reflectivity of the china makes it too important and dominant. The subject is the food, not the plate!

Asher

Hi Asher, thanks!

Yes, while editing this photo, initially the color of the plate was much more muted, at some point I started enjoying too much some saturation control LOL. Very interesting that you visualize this photo as I did at first. Now, part of the motivation behind this composition was one of the names for this fruit, which is "Dragon Fruit". So, there is an intention to express power and a bit of an oriental flavor (just in case, I know there are dragons in occidental cultures too!). That fusion of apparently unrelated ideas is key for this series, because it is not primarily about the food, but about the food in the context of transcultural relations, as I perceive them in Panama.

As an example of where I don't want to go with this project is this photo, which, in this case, is an editorial kind of photo, and is all about the food:

20110819_IMG_0484.jpg

Regards,

Ruben

Ruben Alfu

Ruben, I want to have a spoonful of this!!

But why crop> and why the shallow dof?

Palatable and delectable!!

Regards.

Hi Fahim, thanks!

Some reasons for this type of shot: focusing the attention on the food; getting closer to show better the forms, colors and texture; create a dreamy atmosphere, (also, there are some things that become more interesting when partially hidden, you know). Anyway, honestly, first and foremost, it's a matter of trends in commercial food photography, even when a "personal touch" is always good, business wise, you have to follow the market, although this photo is not a perfect example of what is fashionable these days, which is a much more natural, spontaneous look.

Regards,

Ruben