• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Photographing homeless people

Cem_Usakligil

Hi,

Here's a question that came up my mind because of a couple of pictures by John Angulat of homeless people. See here and here.

Before anybody misunderstands me, let me assure you that I have no issues with John's pictures. On the contrary, I applaud him for bringing up this socially important issue. This post is neither a criticism nor an attack on John or anything like that! So, that should be enough of a disclaimer, I hope :).

As many of you undoubtedly have before, I too have read many discussions on the net re. the ethics of photographing the homeless people. Most people seem to think that it is “not done”, i.e. taking pictures of the homeless people unless the pictures will serve a particular PJ purpose. I tend to agree with this point of view.

So what do you think? I am curious and want to form a better and more informed opinion with your help.

Thanks.

janet Smith

pro member
As many of you undoubtedly have before, I too have read many discussions on the net re. the ethics of photographing the homeless people. Most people seem to think that it is “not done”, i.e. taking pictures of the homeless people unless the pictures will serve a particular PJ purpose. I tend to agree with this point of view

Hi Cem

I have never photographed and never will photograph the homeless - but whilst saying that - I think there is a case to highlight their situation. It is important to respect their right to privacy, the same as any other individual. The charity I worked for used actors in their advertising and fundraising campaigns, they obviously had photographs of real homeless people, but these were never used.

I believe that a powerful image is a very useful tool in raising awareness/funds, particularly if coupled with individual stories, all too often people end up homeless through no fault of their own, the often heard assumption by the general public that they become homeless due to alchol or drug addiction is not always the case. Their homelessness is often the result of other issues, then sadly addiction often follows....

I think photographs such as John's, where the face is not visible/identifiable, provide a useful insight when talking to schools and other organisations about the issues surrounding homelessness, which is why I asked John what he intended to do with his shots.

I would not be happy with photographs where the face is visible, unless fully informed concent is given. These are just my personal opinions.

It is the same phenomenon we have in underdeveloped countries, people live outside, in the streets, their homes have no fences with surveillance cameras so photographers come home with fantastic images. It they went to Beverly Hills they would probably only get photos of the security personnel and fire hydrant.

Homeless are that, people with no homes to get a private moment, they are "available" for on the spot sittings whit unknown photographers.

Is the photographer engaging in conversation with this people? has he asked their opinion about being photographed?

Hey, Leonardo, aren't you exaggerating a bit? you may ask me.

Well I did exactly that -the images are in 6x7 cNegs, so I would have to scan to post some..- in Guatemala, one of the most violent countries in the entire world. A friend that worked with Guatemala homeless children wanted to do something so I, and this is exactly relevant to the question of this post-- said to him that I wanted to photograph them away from the street.

So we set up studios in places close to where they where but enclosed, and used flash heads, a Mamiya RZ and a set of color backdrops that the children selected that suited them better.

My friend interviewed them and extract from the interview was part of the final exhibit.

The title was Suenos y Pesadillas / Dreams and Nightmares. The Dreams where from to become a doctor, teacher, etc to "not to be beaten up any more" and the Nightmares ... there was a lovely 15 yo girl that was not long ago raped by the Police...

Anyway, I don't want to go on and on about this particular project, but I think that if you really want to do something and care about them... do something, other wise, give them your spare change and shoot something else ...

Hi everybody,

I think photographing homeless people is one of the most controversial subject in street photography.

It's really very hard to get a "right" opinion about this... Those people are in the streets and, as Leonardo said, they are "available" and without defense. It is technically very easy to shoot them, as they usually don't react : too drunk, too depressed, etc... I think that we photographers must respect them and don't have to show their faces, except if it is part of a particular and volunteer project. Personnaly, i shot homeless people twice, but i never showed the pictures and i won't do it again : i don't want to "exploit" their situation.

I recently read an interview from Jane Evelyn Atwood, famous photographer who treated once homeless people situations in her pictures. She explained that it was very difficult for her to make those pictures, she was ashamed to do that, but it was for a work of a charity organization. She arranged to catch raw realty of the street but without showing any face or recognizable part of the body. Only silhouettes and clothes.

John Angulat

pro member
Thank you Cem, for opening this thread...

Hello all,

Let me begin by saying I am satisfied I have achieved my purpose – to raise awareness. I believe the very fact this thread has been started by Cem is evidence of that.
A number of questions and opinions have been put forth by Cem, Janet and Leonardo. I’ll attempt to offer an explanation as best I can.
A question was raised of ethics and I could not agree more. The mere capture of an image depicting a human being in distress is worthless. At the very least it is a violation of that person’s dignity. However the image, if used for a higher purpose, possesses value. I’ll try to describe that at the end of this post.

Janet offered an acceptance of the images provided the face was obscured. To that I sincerely disagree. As I said in the posts along with those images, these people have names. They should be known. They should not be anonymous, forgotten individuals.

Leonardo’s post has a lot to digest but I’m most pleased with his last sentence: “…if you really want to do something and care about them…do something, otherwise give them your spare change and shoot something else…”

These people are special to me. I know their names. I take the time, whenever possible to get to know their story, their past and their problems. Why? Because I care. I care enough to volunteer 2 evenings a week and 1 weekend afternoon at a local soup kitchen. I care enough to sleep one night every two weeks at a homeless shelter as a monitor. And what becomes of the pictures? Some have been used by volunteer and civic groups on poster campaigns. Some have placed on flyers. Most are used to assault the senses on blogs, forums and wherever else I think they’ll spark discussion and maybe, just maybe one person to act.

I’m not a photojournalist. I’m not a professional photographer. I’m just a working guy who has a pretty good life and is deeply thankful for that. My way of showing my gratitude is to pay it forward. That’s all.

janet Smith

pro member
Janet offered an acceptance of the images provided the face was obscured. To that I sincerely disagree. As I said in the posts along with those images, these people have names. They should be known. They should not be anonymous, forgotten individuals

I couldn't agree with you more John, what I actually said was "I would not be happy with photographs where the face is visible, unless fully informed consent is given" I am entirely happy when consent is given.

I'm really pleased to know that your photographs have been used by both civic and volunteer groups to help raise awareness, it's too easy for us with our safe comfortable lives to ignore the lives of those of us less fortunate than ourselves....

Charlotte Thompson

I applaud John for his wonderful photos of the homeless and his efforts to help in a way most people can't or won't or whatever-
I do alot of charity work along these lines for many years
I am a writer/poet and many of my poems I have been given to charity for womens and childrens homes for the abused- the books are put together for charity only and sold and moneys that come from it go to these particular homes- I am proud to be apart of that help-
just recently in Sarasota Florida- an artist in oils took pictures of the homeless and painted in oils faces- for that very awareness that we understand as humans-
her name is Elayn Leopold "The Common Face of Life" again I participated and wrote a poem that was chosen to go along one of the faces- it may seem like a small thing to do but I care enough to give where I can-

Charlotte-

A poem on the homeless was posted here. It refers to all the people we want to pass by because they are dirty and want something from us. I found out today that the author, it appears, as that person has not told me that, doesn't want the poem in this post. So I'm removing it. The fact that it's being cleaned up, like inappropriate people on the street who don't have permission, is in itself, ironic. However, I judge that we can remove this without losing any sense of the continuity of this important discussion.

Asher January 15th 2010

Elayn Leopold-

Paintings show struggles of the homeless

CORRESPONDENT PHOTO / J. NIELSEN Artist Elayn Leopold is trying through her paintings to show the vast and varied homeless community and to create an ongoing discussion about homelessness.

By J. NIELSEN CORRESPONDENT

Published: Thursday, November 13, 2008 at 1:00 a.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 at 6:10 p.m.
MANATEE COUNTY - People often wonder if one person can truly make a difference.

INTERESTED?For more information about Elayn Leopold's work and how to
participate in community discussions about the homeless, contact:
Dancing Crane Gallery,
1019 10th Ave. W., Bradenton, at 744-1333.
Village Bookshop, 1006
11th Ave. W., Bradenton, at 750-9141, or visit
www.poeekphrastic.blogspot.com or www.thevillagebookshop.org.
Leopold currently exhibits her pastels at the Dancing Crane Gallery and at
the Artist Guild of Anna Maria Island, 5414 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach.

"I think Elayn Leopold has this wonderful place in her heart. She captures who they are and really catches the life struggle."-- DIANE SHELLY,
executive director, ArtCenter Manatee

"If I could, that would be great," said artist Elayn Leopold, 66, who has created 100 oil portraits of homeless people.

She was inspired one day when she arrived early for volunteer work at Our Daily Bread soup kitchen in Bradenton.

"I saw this man with a long blonde page boy and asked if I could take his picture," she said.

Since then, Leopold found many homeless people eager to have their picture taken, but as many have said no as have said yes.

"There was no grand scheme," she said. "Each one is a story."

All of the portraits, 16 inches by 20 inches, show the faces of homeless people Leopold met outside Our Daily Bread. She works from one photo taken of her subject.

Leopold chose to paint 100 portraits of homeless people because "it would make a large impact." She wants to show the vast and varied homeless community.

ArtCenter Manatee Executive Director Diane Shelly saw Leopold's work and will exhibit all 100 portraits in November 2009.

"We're very excited about it," Shelly said. "I think Elayn Leopold has this wonderful place in her heart. She captures who they are and really catches the life struggle."

Leopold said she would like the exhibit to be "joyful, a celebration of these individuals."

A Palmetto resident since 2007, Leopold grew up in Harrisburg, Pa., wanting to draw.

"I've always been an artist and people have always been my favorite subject," she said.

A graduate of Moore College of Art in Philadelphia, Leopold, a divorced mother of three children, worked at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Md., while pursuing her art education at night. She worked in pastels for more than 40 years, but was reintroduced to oil painting at Sarasota Art Center by teacher Daniel Petrov.

"Her work is well observed," Petrov said. "It is compassionate and humane. Ms. Leopold meets her subjects on their own terms."

Others are noticing Leopold's work as well.

The Village Bookshop started an online poetry project. Forty-one of Leopold's portraits can be viewed at www.poeekphrastic.blogspot.com; the Web site encourages writers to respond to her portraits. People from around the country have responded.

"The impact of her work has created an ongoing discussion about homelessness," said Doug Knowlton, bookshop owner.

And that is what the artist had in mind.

"Perhaps I'll make a little inroad," Leopold said. "I want an honest presentation to show that people are wonderful."

This story appeared in print on page BM4

Enlarge Text Email Print Comments Share
You must fill in all fields

WITH PHOTO NO PHOTO
DIGG FACEBOOK Yahoo! Buzz YAHOO NEWSVINE DEL.ICIO.US

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all,

Let me begin by saying I am satisfied I have achieved my purpose – to raise awareness. I believe the very fact this thread has been started by Cem is evidence of that.
A number of questions and opinions have been put forth by Cem, Janet and Leonardo. I’ll attempt to offer an explanation as best I can.
A question was raised of ethics and I could not agree more. The mere capture of an image depicting a human being in distress is worthless. At the very least it is a violation of that person’s dignity. However the image, if used for a higher purpose, possesses value. I’ll try to describe that at the end of this post.

Janet offered an acceptance of the images provided the face was obscured. To that I sincerely disagree. As I said in the posts along with those images, these people have names. They should be known. They should not be anonymous, forgotten individuals.

Leonardo’s post has a lot to digest but I’m most pleased with his last sentence: “…if you really want to do something and care about them…do something, otherwise give them your spare change and shoot something else…”

These people are special to me. I know their names. I take the time, whenever possible to get to know their story, their past and their problems. Why? Because I care. I care enough to volunteer 2 evenings a week and 1 weekend afternoon at a local soup kitchen. I care enough to sleep one night every two weeks at a homeless shelter as a monitor. And what becomes of the pictures? Some have been used by volunteer and civic groups on poster campaigns. Some have placed on flyers. Most are used to assault the senses on blogs, forums and wherever else I think they’ll spark discussion and maybe, just maybe one person to act.

I’m not a photojournalist. I’m not a professional photographer. I’m just a working guy who has a pretty good life and is deeply thankful for that. My way of showing my gratitude is to pay it forward. That’s all.

I think my post was done with insufficient knowledge, in your case I can see that what I said does not apply and you care about the subject of your images, so please accept my apologies.

Charlotte Thompson

John

This is my write that was chosen- for Elayn Leopold's Art
the other I posted was another another writers work- and bless you for doing" and not just talking"

Thursday, November 13, 2008
A Slight Degree

So why walk out into midnight

taxis in uptown
whisper me a prayer
-I am

light is

watch the cars
disappear
see my heart,
slip up against the wall
of your
midnight

I am left with only

Life-
my little dog on the cement street-

without

you-

- Charlotte R. Thompson
Katy, Texas
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Charlotte writes: "what an honor! This poem comes from my heart for the people on the street society has thrown away because my friend but by the grace of God go I and all else as well- "
Posted by Location: B'Town at 8:35 AM 0 comments
Saturday, November

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Hi,

So what do you think? I am curious and want to form a better and more informed opinion with your help.

Thanks.

As a matter of personal policy I do not photograph people who are apparently homeless. I made one exception three years ago when I photographed a fellow to make a strong point about urban homelessness. I found a man, and his partner, almost literally below my feet sleeping on a lower street level below my home on a bitterly cold early winter night. In selecting an image to use, however, I made sure that the man was not identifiable; his humanity, not his identity, was the point. I also made sure that he had enough cash for several meals and some shelter.

But, again, as a matter of personal policy I do not photograph people who are apparently homeless. Photographing homeless people is the photographic skill equivalent of hunting cows. I am sure that John means well with his photographs and poems. But he's kidding himself if he believes they're "raising awareness" of anything.

I have lived IN the city nearly all of my half-century life, mostly here in Chicago. Not in some commuter radius suburb or township of Chicago. In Chicago. Homeless people are a part of city life in every city in the world. I see amateur photographers, entirely young men, coming in to the city with their shiny Canons and Nikons looking for stuff like this every weekend. I'm sure they call themselves "street shooters" as they hunt big game in the scary big city. I'm sure they're proud as they chimp their shots of homeless people while they ride the train back to their warm suburban houses.

But that's not "street photography"; it's hunting cows.

One-off snapshots of urban homeless people are absolutely worthless as messengers and are entirely self-indulgent. Who really believes that anyone isn't "aware" that many people are homeless? What amateur "street shooters" do not understand is that these one-off little "trophy" shots that they post on amateur photo forums actually dehumanize homelessness by presenting it out of context.

Look if you are genuinely interested in "raising awareness" of homelessness do it right. Take the time and effort to produce a journalistic essay on individual people who find themselves homeless. Use photographs AND text to shine real light on these people. Befriend them. Interview them. Tell them what you want to do. If you can get the balls to do this right you may find, as so many have, that this is a far deeper and more personal issue than any camera can convey.

But please be mature enough not to hunt cows and then seek congratulations for your trophies. Imagine finding your mother/father/sister/brother/aunt/uncle/nephew/school friend in one of those trophies.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

One-off snapshots of urban homeless people are absolutely worthless as messengers and are entirely self-indulgent. Who really believes that anyone isn't "aware" that many people are homeless? What amateur "street shooters" do not understand is that these one-off little "trophy" shots that they post on amateur photo forums actually dehumanize homelessness by presenting it out of context.

Look if you are genuinely interested in "raising awareness" of homelessness do it right. Take the time and effort to produce a journalistic essay on individual people who find themselves homeless. Use photographs AND text to shine real light on these people. Befriend them. Interview them. Tell them what you want to do. If you can get the balls to do this right you may find, as so many have, that this is a far deeper and more personal issue than any camera can convey.

But please be mature enough not to hunt cows and then seek congratulations for your trophies. Imagine finding your mother/father/sister/brother/aunt/uncle/nephew/school friend in one of those trophies.

Ken,

This reaction, and the well-thought-out words of everyone else here, represent the values and arguments we all need to inform our decision-making. Even if we do not make award-winning pictures, we must not humiliate people. The natural nature of man is to take advantage, hunt and take a prize. We are deceptive, even to ourselves! So we can wrap ourselves in good motives to do what we really intend for ourselves. However, this might be an acceptable arrangement. Even an apparently bad marriage might be better than each person without that poor bargain.

I'll add more shortly. "One-offs", "interviewing" and inserting oneself into the person's life can also be examined in very different ways. There are many social pathologies that lead people to end up being homeless. There's an array of amazing possibilities and ways in which people attempt to ameliorate and/ or exploit this human tragedy.

At the very least, where one does make a connection, put in the effort and use the pictures well, the act, while still personally benefiting the photographer, respects and acknowledges the humanity of the person photographed. We still don't get some free pass; we have the trophies in the pictures and admiration of our own more privileged communities.

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Cause and effect

Many of these people have health issues - including mental health issues and alcohol and drug issues. They have bypassed any systems out there for help. Some are far from ready to want help and others just have fallen though any social service assistance.

A friend of mine went through the terror of watching her alcoholic husband sink into such a place as living on the street and losing everything from a million dollar home, boat, business and finally his family. He lived for several years on the streets and finally got sick and then got help. The effects of this on families is so beyond anything most of us can live with on a daily basis.

In the current state of the economy, I am hoping that we do not see pople with no where to go but the streets. What I decided to do this year in lieu of the usual holiday gifts to clients is make a donation of the money to a local food bank in the name of my clients. My clients won't miss their basket of fruit or bottle of wine. But some people will be grateful for a bag of groceries instead.

If you can't do something like that, then I hope you will use some skill you have to make others less fortunate than you are have some kind of hope and joy and dignity as well

Ken Tanaka

pro member
It's no longer reliable to assume that addiction or mental health are responsible for someone's homelessness. Indeed, within a year or two that may actually represent the minority. So many average folks who consider themselves solidly middle-class are closer to homelessness than they ever imagine. A job loss, a serious illness, a law suit, even an identity theft can start an avalanche of financial calamity that culminates in home loss. Here in downtown Chicago we're beginning to see younger non-ethnic panhandlers (who are not necessarily homeless).

A Reuters story today suggests that homelessness is, indeed predictably, growing as the swooning economy brings job losses and unprecedented mortgage foreclosures.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Agree

Ken,

I agree with you...but for many years the norm of what caused homelessness was mental health, drugs and alcohol. Now there will be many of the middle class who will sadly fall to those depths of despair. Already we are seeing shelters taking in the formerly employed, the homeowner who lost their home in the meltdown.

And don't forget the poor pets who have suffered the same fate and are either wandering the streets or have been abandoned in animal shelters.

Hi, I know this a thread long gone, but as new year approachs and as the Christmas season is still running I though there might be a space for my opinion...
I would never photography any homeless. I was so close to homelessness myself not to see what my life could have been.

I could only do that if ALL of these assumptions were real...

1- I know personally the person.
2- that person shall give a full and aware consent of what could be done with this shot.
3- That both of us could do a fair amount of money from it, because I don't see why only the rich could have the luxury to be cynical with money.

I don't say that the fact of being homeless should be a proper job. But being a partying heiress is not either, why should people give them some money to be photographed? Why shouldn't I give some to any people in exchange of showing me his/her privacy/identity/humanity.

So, in a sense that excludes people who are deeply addicted, because I could not trust their consent. And don't misjudge me, I use to know PERSONALLY deeply addicted people. Some were friends of mine. They are all dead.

But, by the way, I don't do street photography at all. I am so frightened by all this.

Mark Hampton

Hi, I know this a thread long gone, but as new year approachs and as the Christmas season is still running I though there might be a space for my opinion...
I would never photography any homeless. I was so close to homelessness myself not to see what my life could have been.

I could only do that if ALL of these assumptions were real...

1- I know personally the person.
2- that person shall give a full and aware consent of what could be done with this shot.
3- That both of us could do a fair amount of money from it, because I don't see why only the rich could have the luxury to be cynical with money.

I don't say that the fact of being homeless should be a proper job. But being a partying heiress is not either, why should people give them some money to be photographed? Why shouldn't I give some to any people in exchange of showing me his/her privacy/identity/humanity.

So, in a sense that excludes people who are deeply addicted, because I could not trust their consent. And don't misjudge me, I use to know PERSONALLY deeply addicted people. Some were friends of mine. They are all dead.

But, by the way, I don't do street photography at all. I am so frightened by all this.

Sandine,

I think I read this ages ago and was puzzled - the idea that an image of a person is a person and images can humanize and dehumanize people is a scary and absurd thought...

if making images with people in them is judged exploitation by the capital or non capital assets then we are in a piss poor state... sounds like image exclusion based on wealth

just my two pence worth !

happy new year :)

I made my own opinion on this, following a path of thoughts that lead me to that sentence.

No, an image cannot change the world...

an happy new year to you, and to everyone here and there.

Edit: What I was trying to say is basically if "standard" people can make money or publicity out of a photography, I can't see why the homeless (who actually need it the most) just have to give-away this possibility. My "philosophy" is just being down to earth. (maybe I've just lived too long in a liberal country) :)

Alain Briot

pro member
Here's an interesting book I read on the subject: The Man on the Bench by Alton Jones

It's the story of a homeless man in Southern California that the author gets to know. When this homeless man dies he is missed by the people of that city who had come to accept him. They considered himan important character of their town, even though his "home" was a public bench.