• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Photography in public spaces

Michael Fontana

pro member
Charles

>But, YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO PRIVACY IN A PUBLIC PLACE. It may be socially unaccpetable
to take pictures at the beach but I can still do it.<

Not beeing a lawyer, I tend to disagree, adter reading the stuff yesterday....

Meanwhile its not in the constitution, in the ZGB there's a °personality protection/privacy protection° which includes the °right on the own image°:

"1. Verhältnis Persönlichkeitsschutz (Recht am eigenen Bild) – Urheberrecht
Interessant, wenn auch nicht mehr aktuell, ist die Tatsache, dass das frühere Urheber-
rechtsgesetz (URG) aus dem Jahre 1921 eine Bestimmung über den Schutz vor Veröf-
fentlichung von Personenbildnissen enthielt; und zwar in Art. 35 aURG, wonach vorbehält-
lich abweichender Vereinbarung Exemplare eines bestellten Personenbildnisses ohne
Einwilligung des Abgebildeten weder in Verkehr noch an die Öffentlichkeit gebracht wer-
den durften. Schon während der Geltungsdauer des alten Urheberrechtsgesetzes galt
diese Norm als verfehlt, einerseits weil es gemäss Gesetzestext nur „bestellte“ Abbildun-
gen betraf und andererseits weil es mit dem Urheberrecht formal an sich nichts zu tun
hatte.
Die Rechte des Abgebildeten erfahren auch keine Schmälerung durch die Ausnahmebe-
stimmungen im Urheberrecht. Das Urheberrechtsgesetz umfasst den Schutz von Werken
der bildenden Kunst, dazu gehören selbstverständlich auch Fotografien. Das Recht des
Urhebers, über seine Werke zu bestimmen, findet gewisse Grenzen und Schranken, ins-
besondere solche zugunsten der Allgemeinheit, so beispielsweise das Zitatrecht (Art. 25
URG) sowie das Recht der Berichterstattung über aktuelle Ereignisse (Art. 28 Abs. 2
URG). So sieht Art. 28 Abs. 2 vor, dass - soweit es für die Berichterstattung über aktuelle
Ereignisse, resp. für die Zwecke der Information über aktuelle Fragen erforderlich ist -
kurze Ausschnitte aus Presseartikeln sowie aus Radio- und Fernsehberichten vervielfältigt
werden dürfen. Die Lehre und Praxis ist sich einig, dass unter dem Begriff der „Pressearti-
kel“ keine Werke der bildenden Kunst und Fotografie zu verstehen sind, was bedeutet,
dass es nicht zulässig ist, Pressebilder im Zusammenhang mit der Berichterstattung über
ein aktuelles Ereignis ohne Einwilligung des Urhebers zu verwenden. Was für den Urheber
gilt, gilt selbstverständlich in noch stärkerem Masse gegenüber dem auf einem Pressefoto
Abgebildeten."

and

"Das Fotografieren ist der Öffentlichkeit ist insoweit erlaubt, als der Abgebildete auf dem Bild als „irgendwer“ erscheint, mag er auch identifizierbar sein. Erscheint er hingegen auf dem Bild als bestimmter Einzelner (als Persönlichkeit), wenn vielleicht auch in der Menge oder an einem allgemein zugänglichen Ort, stellt dies keine Verletzung der Privatsphäre dar. "

source: http://www.altenburger.ch/pdf/pub_immaterial01.pdf.

Basically, ist says the same as my first post, two days ago. I agree, its a bit chewing gum; but there is explicitly a type of °personality protection/privacy sphere° that someone should respect.

The important point comes here:
you' re allowed to shoot anything you want, but:

Publishing these shots (no matter which media is used) is trespassing that protection, if there's no agreement with the people in the shots.
That agreement has to be specific, for certain shots, and the shots duty.

But off course, if nobody make a claim, nothing happens.

Michael Fontana

pro member
ok, switzerland might look like galls with Asterix and Obelix, ;-)
but from a german pano forum, I learnt some similar restrictions; as on highrez panos (zoomify) the panomaker retouched some poeple in the foreground...

Michael Fontana

pro member
So Switzerland is really confusing. How about elsehwere?

The law is confusing in that sense, that it doesn't makes a clear YES or NO; it's contextualised ......

Asking the people in question is alwith a good advise and sounds familiar to me: you want the poeple to be on the photo, hence ask: I never run into problems, with that.

Dierk Haasis

pro member
"Das Fotografieren ist der Öffentlichkeit ist insoweit erlaubt, als der Abgebildete auf dem Bild als „irgendwer“ erscheint, mag er auch identifizierbar sein. Erscheint er hingegen auf dem Bild als bestimmter Einzelner (als Persönlichkeit), wenn vielleicht auch in der Menge oder an einem allgemein zugänglichen Ort, stellt dies keine Verletzung der Privatsphäre dar. "

Basically, ist says the same as my first post, two days ago. I agree, its a bit chewing gum; but there is explicitly a type of °personality protection/privacy sphere° that someone should respect.

It actually says that there is a difference between a subject and an object in a photo. If the person is accidental or generic - say, some swimmer in the Elbe - you can publish without reprimand. Well, in theory. If the photo is a portrait of a person - say, Ms Schmidt in the Elbe swimming - you cannot publish without consent.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The important point comes here:
you' re allowed to shoot anything you want, but:

Publishing these shots (no matter which media is used) is trespassing that protection, if there's no agreement with the people in the shots.
That agreement has to be specific, for certain shots, and the shots duty.

But off course, if nobody make a claim, nothing happens.

Michael,

In the USA, one can do a portrait and exhibit it in a major gallery without the person's consent! AFAIK one can sell the prints! However, if one can prove actual believable damage then one could sue. However, the major test cases so far, failed!

Asher