• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: From The Archives: A new digital detritus series

Like most of you, I have several hard drives full of STUFF. I recently spent some time organizing a multitude of nested folders on one of these drives into something coherent, including isolating stray examples of photo art and post processing that I created and saved along the way.

In this thread I’ll post a selection of my own artsy images and invite you to join in too. If you can remember anything about the treatment you gave the images, great. If not, we’ll just enjoy them as they are.

I’ll start with this otherworldly window scene collage. I think this would make a nice book cover in the Inspiration genre. It combines three original images I took several years ago into a composite using layers and layer masks. The original window shot was skewed into a flat perspective and the left side window framed restored by cloning the right side.

The storm cloud sky had a bit of lens flare applied to match the location where the window's sun reflection is. The sparse-cloud sky layer was scaled vertically to compress the clouds at the top of the composition. A layer mask was used to blend the cloud images together, and a drop shadow was added to the window layer.

What I like about this piece is the "lucky accident" where it looks like the sunset is coming through the window, but that's actually a reflection from the opposite direction.

windoworiginals.jpg

windowcollage.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I haven't as yet absorbed the details of the pictures. I have not read a word you wro

First, Mike, let me congratulate you, just on the immediate flash of color and geometry that pulls us in and won't let us simply walk by.

This is before we see what's actually there.

I'm impressed and learned something here. First a passer by has to stop and look at your shop window. Not that we will buy what you offer, but first, you succeeded and got my attention.

Will enter your store.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Mike,

I have often said it's generous for an artist to introduce his/her work. Others are adamant that a picture should speak for itself. Here I get the feeling that this is indeed what is happening. I will read the text afterwards.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Mike,

I think that this entire set is organically connected and must be reviewed as you have placed them, with the triptych influencing the large single frame of the window.

windoworiginals.jpg

windowcollage.jpg

This arrangement, with the first of the series being reiterated in larger form below has has immediately tuned to think of going from macro to normal vision. First we see the window and next to it what might be small samples of this window might allow us to see, As a result, my brain starts to imagine a giant scene outside.

So you have created a playground to which I can bring my own fancies and fantasies and it allows me to explore and endless expanse of scenes that might have those small samples in some corner or edge.

This is creative work and a commendable use of your stored images.

This is very different from the crafted layered work of Charlotte Thompson who creates with found images, some a 100 years old and so the subjects have Victorian lace clothing, even the boys!

Your work, by contrast brings no such sentimentality and is open-ended in allowing us to do our own wanderings.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Thank you Asher for your kinds words and interpretation of my work! Your input is always valued.

Michael,

I value that you march to some tune in your head and are not bound by what the lens can project on the sensor. You have a lot of marching to do on your path, as we all do, but at least you are making a unique way for yourself.

As time goes on, you will collect treasures.

Asher