• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Monet Lily

Anil Mungal

My attempt to combine the art of painting and art of photography.

monetlily.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Anil,

How beautiful this is! This is really special. I am not one to be so readily impressed but here I am.

I do like the center of ther flower. Great job.

Now the bad! I have issues with the more timorous white painting of the outer green leaves. It's like you were not sure!

Anyway, the picture jumps out of the page and is very decorative. Now could you give the steps you used?

What's the dish doing in the b.g.

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

Anil Mungal

Thanks for your comments, Asher. I used a drawing/painting program called ArtRage. The program can be used to create drawings/paintings from a blank canvas or based on an imported image. I started with a crop from this initial image:

originallily.jpg

I then proceeded to add brushstrokes overtop of the petals of the lily, starting from the background and working to the foreground. I decided not to paint the lily pads or the water and keep it as a sort of hybrid image. It was a neat process and a great learning experience for me.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The original flower does have lower leaves that are rather white and not green. I'm surpised because it seemed that they had been green leaves you had incompletely covered.

Also I can now see that the distracting disk in the top is a part of the leaves of the plants.

In the lower orignal image that top leaf is a great feature, in the painted image that meaning is lost and distracting.

Lkewise in the original picture the water provides context which is lost in the painting.

Still I find your work interesting and beautiful. But you did start with nature's work!

This is a great approach to working your own feelings into an image to make the picture have your vision. Still I's re-ask yourself about the elements I have mentioned to be sure you wanted and needed to de-emphasize the water and change the meaning of the top leaf.

Asher