• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

rich vignetting filter?

Anna Nowakowska

Hi,

as in subject- anyone knows any nice and affordable rich vignetting filter sharp pinhole effect center for colour weddings shots?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Anna,

You might want to also post a picture for us to work with until you see the effect you like. I'll PM you with details, just in case!

Asher

Anna Nowakowska

Hi Jerome,
I think of a gentle touch. I tried with imagenomic photoshop plug-in but couldn't find anything. Sligthly blurred vignette edges + crisp centre but not thacky. 80mm ,f1.8 + pinhole camera shot. If I am making myself clear at least in 1% that is what I mean.

Thanks.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
....and photoshop?

There are some filters which can be used with Aperture or iphoto. So what are you using?

Asher

Anna Nowakowska

jim galli homemade soft focus lens

I wonder How to achieve the same effect as Jim Galli with his soft focus lens form medium format cameras in digital photography portrait.

Jerome Marot

What you are looking for is called a vignette blur.

Nik software color efex pro filter collection has a vignette blur that is easy to adjust. Or, if you have CS6, you can do the same with this tutorial.

Alternatively, there are probably a few hundred free photoshop actions to give a pinhole effet or a vignette blur. For example, here. Since they normally use a fixed mask to control the extent of the sharp center, they are usually more difficult to adjust. The trick would then be to make a few masks yourself.

The classical way of obtaining this effect is to use a clear filter in front of the lens and smear vaseline on its edges.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Vignetting should only be applied while wearing socks and sandals and listening to Frank Sinatra singing anything at all.

I wonder How to achieve the same effect as Jim Galli with his soft focus lens form medium format cameras in digital photography portrait.

Hi Anna,

It sounds like you are looking for not just a vignetted blur, but also certain characteristics of specific lens rendering. Topaz Labs have a specific plug-in for that, called Lens Effects. It not only allows to choose from a number of presets to get quickly started, it also allows to tweak, create, and save your own presets. That allows a very fast workflow if you want to create multiple images with a similar (your) look.

Topaz Labs usually have discount coupons for the attendees to their Webinars, so check that out if you want to purchase anything. Their upgrades so far have all been free for existing users, also for new enhanced versions, so the investment over time becomes even lower than the already reasonable prices suggest.

Cheers,
Bart