• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Kits Pool !

James Lemon

i-2Lzhh5T-L.jpg

James Lemon

Is this really "Kits Pool" or is it a "Kids' Pool". In any case, it is massive and beautiful!

Asher

Hi Asher

It is known as kits pool to the locals, short for Kitsilano. The pool opened in 1931 and is a salt water pool.This is the longest pool in Canada at "137 meters" almost 3 times the length of an Olympic size pool.

Best, regards
James

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Asher

It is known as kits pool to the locals, short for Kitsilano. The pool opened in 1931 and is a salt water pool.This is the longest pool in Canada at "137 meters" almost 3 times the length of an Olympic size pool.

Best, regards
James

This is brilliant! It has the potential of saving lives by protecting against rip tides and the rare errant shark. It makes it so much easier for the lifeguards.

I wonder what they do about bacteria count?

We have problems on our beaches from the overflow discharge of raw sewage alongthe Pacific Coast. How does Canada deal with this health threat?

Asher

Asher Kelman

I did a search on http://Vancouver.ca and discovered similar issues of contamination as here in Southern California:

UPGRADED SEWERS TO PREVENT CONTAMINATION

The City replaces about 10 km of combined sewer pipe each year with
a storm sewer and a sanitary sewer system. Old systems are combined so that in drier weather, stormwater and waste water are carried to the sewage treatment plant together. But in heavy rains, high volumes of stormwater can exceed the capacity of a combined sewer system. The excess would then over ow and empty directly into
our waterways. The City intends to eliminate this sewage over ow by 2050. Separated sewer systems help improve water quality, support wildlife, increase biodiversity and reduce sewage backups during storms.

In 2014, the focus was on repairing cross connections that resulted in waste water from homes being fed accidentally into stormwater channels. One example is the newly naturalized Still Creek.

Recent water testing revealed that some residential pipes had been connected
to the stormwater main in error. Technicians used a special, non-toxic dye to identify properties with cross connections, then helped homeowners make necessary changes by providing information, guidance and a small grant

Asher Kelman

James,

Here's a video explaining why $6.5 million Canadian dollars were needed to deal with contamination in 1976.

Now the seawater, (brought in before the start of the swimming season), is filtered and chlorinated. Then during the hot months, it is topped off with tap water. So now it meets British Columbia State health standards! Well that is far better than beaches near Los Angeles! Every so often, beacheshave sign that the contamination is too high here for swimming!

Vancouver is much more fortunate in this respect!

Asher

James Lemon

James,

Here's a video explaining why $6.5 million Canadian dollars were needed to deal with contamination in 1976.

Now the seawater, (brought in before the start of the swimming season), is filtered and chlorinated. Then during the hot months, it is topped off with tap water. So now it meets British Columbia State health standards! Well that is far better than beaches near Los Angeles! Every so often, beacheshave sign that the contamination is too high here for swimming!

Vancouver is much more fortunate in this respect!

Asher

Hi Asher

I don't know much about the current infrastructure. But from what I have understood is that the larger majority of our sewage treatment consists of only primary sewage treatment facilities. If secondary facilities were put in place it would be much cleaner water that gets dumped into the ocean.

James

Asher Kelman

Let me summarize this special achievement as a model for what other coastal beaches might adopt as a blueprint for safe recreational areas in areas with massively dense populations. What Canada has achieved is a major innovation and is especially valuable safeguard when we all know that at times sewage treatment plants are overwhelmed and bipassed.

Having a small defined and controlled volume of protected water, it can be kept clean, even when major sewage mitigation fails.

At present, in Southern California, our swimmers get exposed to raw sewage with risks of severe consequences!

Asher

James Lemon

This is really brilliant! I wasn't aware about this kits pool so thanks James lemon for this sharing. Appreciate!!

Let me summarize this special achievement as a model for what other coastal beaches might adopt as a blueprint for safe recreational areas in areas with massively dense populations. What Canada has achieved is a major innovation and is especially valuable safeguard when we all know that at times sewage treatment plants are overwhelmed and bipassed.

Having a small defined and controlled volume of protected water, it can be kept clean, even when major sewage mitigation fails.

At present, in Southern California, our swimmers get exposed to raw sewage with risks of severe consequences!

Asher

Roshni, Asher

Thanks for coming by Roshni ! Gee Asher I thought it was 2017 not 1915. Although the capital regional district Victoria BC has been dumping raw sewage into the pacific ocean since 1894. Our neighbors south of the border in Washington state have been complaining about this practise for years. Victoria will finally have a primary sewage treatment completed in about the year 2020 at a cost of about 750 million. We could do better with additional secondary sewage treatment facilities here on the mainland and the island as well.

Best, regards
James