• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

sand

I've got an image, I like it but it seems that people are confused when I show it.
Too heavily (badly?) processed.
the subject is not clear.
The colour is odd.
This have been seen before so many times.

I would like to know your opinion.

hFpSOdJIzV_brighton-coucher-de-soleil-2-_31_.jpg

thanks

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I've got an image, I like it but it seems that people are confused when I show it.
Too heavily (badly?) processed.
the subject is not clear.
The colour is odd.

Sandrine Bascouert: Sand

Sandrine,

All pictures, IMHO, to be taken seriously need respect. I beg of you unless it's esthetically important, add white space around the work. We must remove distractions caused by position which immediately ranks the picture. Space is liberating. Add white space, it's free!

That way we face the picture with it in control of a territory and has influence over it to live and breathe. This I believe is important in art where one's imagination, values and sensibilities have to be tapped to get full worth of something that expresses your intent. The title serves as a hint to jumpstart our experience.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Sandrine,

So we now see the picture alone with no competition:

Sandrine Bascouert: Sand

There's a profile of person looking to the right. Is that what your intent to show is? Is so, this can be gently enhanced in any of a million ways. Otherwise, there's not enough power on the left and the picture makes no demands on me. Even if you make the change, I'm not sure whether or not it might rise above the trivial. Other ideas may come to me as I know you are invested in this and are flumoxed yourself by folks confusion, LOL!

Asher

Honestly I was not aware of any person on the photo, my only aim was to focus on an "abstract" pictures, lines, textures ect. My post processing was made to "enhance" my natural perception of this piece of seaside. I stay aware on what other people may say, as I can re-do the photo quite easily here in Brighton. The thing is sometimes one cannot analyse his own work, and satisfies with the only appearance of beauty.

Asher Kelman

Honestly I was not aware of any person on the photo, my only aim was to focus on an "abstract" pictures, lines, textures ect. My post processing was made to "enhance" my natural perception of this piece of seaside. I stay aware on what other people may say, as I can re-do the photo quite easily here in Brighton. The thing is sometimes one cannot analyse his own work, and satisfies with the only appearance of beauty.

Sandrine,

Now I'm better equipped as I'm less puzzled by your intent! As a composition, the left side is far to short. Also there's no relief to the one motif of the curly tracks and curvaceous seaweed. Some pristine sand too might be considered. Meanwhile, I'll see how the picture here works when revisited. So far, the lights are off and no one is there.

Asher

I later saw that this picture could be watched as a plane view of a delta, but it was not my first goal. It's like sort of scale mismatch - close up/ altitude.

Asher Kelman

I later saw that this picture could be watched as a plane view of a delta, but it was not my first goal. It's like sort of scale mismatch - close up/ altitude.

Sandrine,

I think the issue here is that you sampled what was there and that might end up as just memento for you to recall and experience once more all the impressions and feelings of when you were there. however we were not by your side breathing in the air and watch gulls circle or clouds move and marks in the wet sand change.

Moving from a snap to a piece with more cultural value to us is not just a matter of altering the texture or making it monochrome, although such manoeuvres do seem to have that effect.

Really, to go beyond a snap, one needs composition and sustaining interest. This picture is unbalanced and does not have magnetism, at least, from my point of view. The building materials are there. I do not know why you excluded pristine sand. I cannot see why it was need to crop so tightly on the left. Also unless you share more pictures with the same grittiness, I have no references to build up a world of these esthetic values. One of images such as this are orphans of no worth or of value depending on what space they live in.

So I remain open to your work. I do not reject it but at present it seems flat and uninteresting but worthy of further pictures of the same area.

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

Could you point out to me the difference?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Either we see a picture in isolation or as part of a collection in a room/book with others. Here we generally see pictures one at a time. When seen alone against one edge of a highly formatted page, as in OPF, it's composition, how things are weighted, what is free to move and expand, are all limited.

When a picture has white space around in all directions, things that are incomplete can continue beyond the borders. When there's movement, we can allow more, if it has the white space to also occupy. Next, as a bonus, all other things around the picture are not part of out attention. Even a simple blue line on the border of a post can take the eye away from the subject been offered. With white space, we remove such distractions. There's now no interference in experiencing the photograph.

A thick black border with detail structure in it imprisons a picture. nothing can go on outside of it. A black free space, OTOH can be an added resource in the composition since it can hold the unknown.

So, to get the most power, continued experiences out of a picture, add white space around it. The exception is in those instances, where, for example, one wants to show something where its very position at the edge would help in the esthetics. An example might be a depressed sad withdrawn individual, sitting on a doorstep, head in the arms, forlorn. Place at a lower stuck against the left edge of a page would help to deliver this rejected hopeless feeling with more limited choices

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Either we see a picture in isolation or as part of a collection in a room/book with others. Here we generally see pictures one at a time. When seen alone against one edge of a highly formatted page, as in OPF, it's composition, how things are weighted, what is free to move and expand, are all limited.

When a picture has white space around in all directions, things that are incomplete can continue beyond the borders. When there's movement, we can allow more, if it has the white space to also occupy. Next, as a bonus, all other things around the picture are not part of out attention. Even a simple blue line on the border of a post can take the eye away from the subject been offered. With white space, we remove such distractions. There's now no interference in experiencing the photograph.

A thick black border with detail structure in it imprisons a picture. nothing can go on outside of it. A black free space, OTOH can be an added resource in the composition since it can hold the unknown.

So, to get the most power, continued experiences out of a picture, add white space around it. The exception is in those instances, where, for example, one wants to show something where its very position at the edge would help in the esthetics. An example might be a depressed sad withdrawn individual, sitting on a doorstep, head in the arms, forlorn. Place at a lower stuck against the left edge of a page would help to deliver this rejected hopeless feeling with more limited choices
Yes, indeed.

Now, what is the difference between the shot as Sandrine posted it and what you did?

Best regards,

Doug