• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

An event to share. Critique welcome.

Phil Holland

Asher has asked me to post this photograph. It probably should go in the event section, but I'll give this a go.

XE0K5880.jpg

Here's some information about the photograph. In May of this year Maurine Ryan turned 100 years old. This is the moment that she is blowing out the candles of her "100" shaped birthday cake. Certainly not an everyday birthday. However, Maurine herself is a rather extraordinary women. She founded a group called the Audubon Student Naturalists and has touched thousands of peoples lives. I'm lucky enough to have her as a grandmother figure in my life.

An odd side story here for me is that her late husband Al was also a photographer. She has told me on more than one occassion that I remind her of him. He was a landscape/nature photographer and over the last 5 years of shooting such subjects I always keep him in mind.

Critiques, comments, and questions are always welcome.

Cheers,

Phil

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This I know is a special picture. Of course, I'm assuming you all love this too!

So please post your feedback and critique.

Asher

Last edited:

Roger Lambert

It is difficult...

not to love this heartwarming image of this grand lady surrounded by her (great?)granddaughters. An extraordinary scene of the American family! :)

My critique would be that you have here a very fine documentary-type capture indeed, that might be made even better, by a much tighter crop and use of the "Levels" or "Curves" tool to minimize the background elements.

These elements, IMO, while adding context, can perhaps be sacrificed, as they are, to me at least, a tad distracting. We understand what is happening in this scene. And what is important are the beautiful faces of the three people around the table, the cakes, and the light thrown by the candles.

By distilling the scene to its simplest forms, its impact might be furthur amplified.

In any case, a wonderful capture. Well done. :)

Best regards,

Roger Lambert

Harvey Moore

This is a photograph where the subjects transcend any minor composition and processing errors. I love the pursed candle blowing lips on all three.

It is Norman Rockwell subject done with camera instead of paints.

Gary Ayala

Man... I hate coming in late as my immediate response of Norman Rockwell and tigher crop have both been spoken/written ... be that as it may, I echo both Roger and Harvey. My knee-jerk response is - man, unfortunately, the girl is more watching than blowing (I think ... she thinks ... that Great Grandma might needs some help...). I had wished that she was puffing for that symmetry/orchestrated feel ... but, (the big but), Rockwell always had a little something going on apart from the principal image, a behind the scenes look ... and so I think the little girl, at the ready to asist Great-Grandma ... is a great statement. Nice use of available light! What was your ISO?

So, I guess everything is great. Grandma is great, the kids are great and the photo is great ... great job Phil.

Gary

PS- The cakes look a little sloppy though ... tasty but sloppy.
-G-

Phil Holland

Thanks everybody!

I did indeed crop it when it was printed. I believe tighter and a 4x5 aspect ratio. And I recall I had to brighten up the image a bit too.

Position wise, when taking the photo that is, I shot this with a 35mm f/1.4L while at an strange sort of crouched angle at the head of the table. You wouldn't know it from this photo but there were around 40 people behind me.

Asher Kelman

From the outset I have been impressed with this image.

The discussion is wonderful. The 100th birthday of this wonderful lady: yes this is Rockwellian, but more so.

Why?

Is it possible that Phil's image might perhaps transcend American life and even be important and iconic for the life of man itself.

I wonder what message it gives to the viewer? Does it remind you of anything? Any implications?

Asher

Michael Poster

Phil,

I like this picture just the way it's presented. There's a subtle luminous quality to the background that's beautiful and plays around a bit with the lovely reflections in the foreground on the table. And the extra space around the figures gives the whole thing a bit of visual breathing room that works. Nothing needs changing here, IMO. As it is, the picture is so much more than what it would be if "simplified".

Michael

Asher Kelman

I believe, there is something powerful in our subconscious, which uplifts this image to greater importance. That's why I asked Phil to post this apparently simple image.

Let's assume for a moment this theory is correct. Let's discuss this. I think it is a fun and iinteresting topic to explore.

Any suggestions then about the underlying ideas and feelings that support this successful picture.

Asher