• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Borderless printing on Epson 1400

John Foutch

I am new at this and would appreciate some help.
I have a photo sized to 4 x 6 and would like to print it borderless. It looks correct on the monitor, but when it is printed, some of the picture is cropped off. What are the correct print settings to get the whole 4 x 6? Thanks

Doug Kerr

Hi, John,
I have a photo sized to 4 x 6 and would like to print it borderless. It looks correct on the monitor, but when it is printed, some of the picture is cropped off. What are the correct print settings to get the whole 4 x 6? Thanks
Well, for one thing, it would be good to know what application it is to be printed from: Photoshop, Qimage, Picture Publisher, etc.

If only a small amount is being cropped, it may be that the "borderless expansion" setting (whatever exactly it is called in your printer's driver control panel) is set too high. (The printer driver in the borderless mode expands the image to be certain that it actually covers the entire sheet of paper, regardless of any small discrepancies in paper location.)

Hi John,

In addition to Doug's suggestions/question, make sure that the paper you use has the same aspect ratio (3:2) as your image and possibly your monitor. If not, then a setting to "fit" the paper rather than to "fill" the paper may be needed, but it depends on your program that sends the printdata to the printer, and the settings in the printer driver.

Cheers,
Bart

John Foutch

Thanks for the response. I am using photoshop and the image size is 4 x 6. I notice that when I set it to print with a border, the picture is reduced slightly to give me a border all the way around, and all of the picture is printed. However, when I selct "borderless" it crops a little off the picture all the way around it.

That's called "borderless expansion" and most software packages do it to make the photo "bleed" off the edge. Other than printing on larger paper and trimming exactly to the picture edges, I don't think you can get around this.

Alain Briot

pro member
John,

Keep in mind that unless the size of your photo is exactly similar to that of your paper, you will have a border on one of the two dimensions, either width or height.

I don't know what type of photography you are doing. But, in what I do, which is Fine Art Photography, my goal when cropping and formatting the image is to meet the needs of the image rather than the size of the paper.

Plus, a white margin is important and necessary to curate, mount and mat the photograph. Plus, it protects the edges of the image from tears and damage since most damage to a sheet of paper occur along the edges.

Finally, you need space below the image to sign on and affix your embossing seal if you use one ...

For all these reasons I never print borderless and recommend that approach for Fine Art Printing.

However, borderless is great for vacation snapshots !