Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > GALLERY ONE

GALLERY ONE Photographic works, strictly curated for potential consideration by clients, publishers or gallerists. All are welcome to submit comments to these works for consideration. Edits for brevity may be made.

Old July 4th, 2014, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Default Distant Mountains

Distant Mountains is a project of 22 images I have made when traveling on the roads of Jammu and Kashmir, India.
BBC Travel classified the road among one of the 10th most dangerous in the planet but we have been there without any problem. Our driver was a clever man...
Some months before departure, I thought I would like to some of the planned landscapes with the long lens.

I was aware that this option would oblige / make me have a different perspective / look of the scenes forcing me to look far away, to see differently. Also it would be necessary to find a safe distant shooting position from which to stage such long telephoto shots and include the spread of scenery that make ther vision so impressive to the traveler.

Now it was the occasion to do so. It was a privilege to be able to travel to this rather dangerous region where political turmoil may happen any time but also where I was able to enjoy such magnificent scenarios. The region and the people living in are also in danger with the climate change. As we all are!

Above, Canon 5D; lens - 24-70 at 25 mm

Above, Canon 5D; lens - 24-70 at 35 mm

Above, Canon 5D; lens - 24-70 at 27 mm

Above, Canon 5D; lens - 24-70 at 28 mm

Above, Canon 20D; lens - 70-200 at 115 mm

Above, Canon 20D; lens - 70-200 at 115 mm

For the entire series, visit the collection here

In October an exposition will be held in Setúbal, Portugal. You are all invited.
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder
Old July 6th, 2014, 02:39 AM
Administrator/Moderator

Hi Antonio
As you may have noticed in the past, I'm not a fan of B&W images, but here, I have to salute with hat and knee down.
Beautiful, great work on the gradients! Also a good idea to shoot with long focal, very punchy!
What lens did you use?
Old July 6th, 2014, 04:14 AM
Administrator

Thank you Nicolas for your supportive comment.

Let me make a correction. Just the last two images were able to be made with the 70-200 and the others are now annotated with the focal length used in each case.

I was trying to use the 70-200 as often as I could but sometimes, it it just turned out to require the 24-70!

I'd guess I need a helicopter or climbing team to get all the shots at tele distance. Still, I'm happy to have done as well as I did!
Old July 6th, 2014, 07:17 PM

Default distant mountains

Antonio,
Your images are stunning, gorgeously composed and fantastically lyrical. I looked at the additional images and all were a visual feast.

Bill
Old July 9th, 2014, 12:19 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Antonio,

I must admit such impressive scenes take me aback to come from a photographer who for years has perfected his art of intimate formal portraiture and relaxed social visits to the workplaces of artisans. Still, it must be that the discipline of the former portrait studio work has been projected in your new open air studio. Your imagination gets to coincide with such vast complexity of mountain ranges.

........and all this majesty appears to trust you!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old July 9th, 2014, 11:28 PM

Hi Antonio,

sad to say, but to me these are tremendous impressions of the sky and the clouds.
They are so dominant in these photos, I have trouble to recognize the mountains.
Old July 10th, 2014, 12:38 AM
Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang Plattner View Post
Hi Antonio,

sad to say, but to me these are tremendous impressions of the sky and the clouds.
They are so dominant in these photos, I have trouble to recognize the mountains.
Wolfgang,
I do not have this feeling, maybe because Antonio's work does bring us right in between (sky and the clouds)?
I take it as a whole. Just like in a seascape, sea and sky are melted and make a world…
Old July 10th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McCarthy View Post
Antonio, Your images are stunning, gorgeously composed and fantastically lyrical. I looked at the additional images and all were a visual feast. Bill
Thank you Bill for your fantastic words !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Antonio, I must admit such impressive scenes take me aback to come from a photographer who for years has perfected his art of intimate formal portraiture and relaxed social visits to the workplaces of artisans. Still, it must be that the discipline of the former portrait studio work has been projected in your new open air studio. Your imagination gets to coincide with such vast complexity of mountain ranges.
........and all this majesty appears to trust you! Asher
And again Asher, thank you for your great statement.
-
Let me add some comments please.
When I was working on this project, here at home, I began by making all photographs in black and white. Carefully and as far as I can remember, I made them all in two or three days in a row.

When I was published in LensWork issue 110 - what made me very happy - I realized that images in duotone look better and are more pleasant to look at.
Then, I have changed all the images (already on line) from B&W to duotone. And they all look very well as they did before mind you, but are more interesting and appealing now. I printed some and I was happy. Still am.

All images in B&W were coherent in terms of tonalities as I was careful when working on them. Then, when I applied the duotone straightly, the result was much the same and very well balanced.
I do have one or another a bit different from the other if you pay a close and attentive look.

I was aware of this problem when I realized that the differences were great when the procedure was applied on some other images, returning bad or poor results.

I have not yet solved the problem but I do have a strategy theses days to overcome it and it goes like this:
I start from one image as template and then I try to balance the other one with the same look. I think this is the way to go because I am going to keep growing the Work project and I am supposed to apply the duotone to images I have not yet made.
Now there is Work II with only duotoned images.

Other projects are and will be in duotone as long I like it !

The eyes will be my guide. After all "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" (Plato) or "Le compas du photographe ne peut être que dans son œil" (Henri Cartier Bresson) or even ""Beauty in things exists merely in the mind which contemplates them" (David Hume). But enough quotations.
-
As I told before, I am going to make an exposition here, in September. I will have 6 images of these. They are all printed now and ready to be sent for framing. I do like them. They look good in spite of being only A3+ size which is the largest size my printer does.

Thank you for your attention !
Old July 16th, 2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
Thank you Bill for your fantastic words !

And again Asher, thank you for your great statement.
-
Let me add some comments please.
When I was working on this project, here at home, I began by making all photographs in black and white. Carefully and as far as I can remember, I made them all in two or three days in a row.

When I was published in LensWork issue 110 - what made me very happy - I realized that images in duotone look better and are more pleasant to look at.
Then, I have changed all the images (already on line) from B&W to duotone. And they all look very well as they did before mind you, but are more interesting and appealing now. I printed some and I was happy. Still am.

All images in B&W were coherent in terms of tonalities as I was careful when working on them. Then, when I applied the duotone straightly, the result was much the same and very well balanced.
I do have one or another a bit different from the other if you pay a close and attentive look.

I was aware of this problem when I realized that the differences were great when the procedure was applied on some other images, returning bad or poor results.

I have not yet solved the problem but I do have a strategy theses days to overcome it and it goes like this:
I start from one image as template and then I try to balance the other one with the same look. I think this is the way to go because I am going to keep growing the Work project and I am supposed to apply the duotone to images I have not yet made.
Now there is Work II with only duotoned images.

Other projects are and will be in duotone as long I like it !

The eyes will be my guide. After all "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" (Plato) or "Le compas du photographe ne peut être que dans son œil" (Henri Cartier Bresson) or even ""Beauty in things exists merely in the mind which contemplates them" (David Hume). But enough quotations.
-
As I told before, I am going to make an exposition here, in September. I will have 6 images of these. They are all printed now and ready to be sent for framing. I do like them. They look good in spite of being only A3+ size which is the largest size my printer does.

Thank you for your attention !

Antonio,
Thanks for the detail regarding your use of duotones, it has been many years (before I worked with computers) that I worked with duotones. I assume you are working in photoshop, but wonder what two colors you are building with. Can you expand on the issue of consistency a bit more? You do a beautiful job. I like that your selection of color has not changed my perception of the images as black and white.
Bill
Old July 31st, 2014, 06:50 PM

António, beautiful work - I love the conversions.
Old September 20th, 2014, 07:50 AM

Wonderful series and great images, Antonio. Best of luck with the exhibition (which is probably happening now)
Old September 24th, 2014, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Thank you Jim and Murray for the kind words.

In fact, I had to postpone the exhibition to December...
Old October 7th, 2016, 01:06 PM

I love you pics, stunning landscapes and sharpness. B&W makes them very dramatic.
Old October 20th, 2016, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ritter View Post
I love you pics, stunning landscapes and sharpness. B&W makes them very dramatic.
I am glad you liked them Michael !

Thank you for commenting !
Old May 11th, 2017, 02:08 PM

Wow! I never ever seen such photographs!

These are an inspiration for the beginners and I like them!

Avraham
Old May 15th, 2017, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Thank you Avraham !
Old May 24th, 2017, 08:28 AM
Banned

Wow!!Soo fascinating, I love it) B/W photos have their own specific magic
Old May 31st, 2017, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Thank you Jane !
Nice of you to say so.