• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Living on the Streets

Robert Watcher

This fellow was moving through the Central Park, garbage can to garbage can - emptying the last few drizzles of soda pop from cups, into one cup - that he refreshed himself with once it was full enough. Bits of throwaway food from bags as well. I’m not sure how he got these cigarettes or if he managed to scrounge a few Quetzels together to buy one from the several vendors around the park that sell individual cigs to passers by - but I caught the shot of him late in the afternoon today - lighting up.

Olympus E-M1 w/45-150 kit lens @150mm - f5.6@1/800’th - 6400 ISO

74BF1001-53CF-47D9-932F-CB285FF8BDFC.jpg

———

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This fellow was moving through the Central Park, garbage can to garbage can - emptying the last few drizzles of soda pop from cups, into one cup - that he refreshed himself with once it was full enough. Bits of throwaway food from bags as well. I’m not sure how he got these cigarettes or if he managed to scrounge a few Quetzels together to buy one from the several vendors around the park that sell individual cigs to passers by - but I caught the shot of him late in the afternoon today - lighting up.

Olympus E-M1 w/45-150 kit lens @150mm - f5.6@1/800’th - 6400 ISO

74BF1001-53CF-47D9-932F-CB285FF8BDFC.jpg

———

Superb photograph! What focal length did you use. Was it fully zoomed out?

Good think there is not rampant disease or he would get very sick!

Amazing how much food folk throw away. So women tend to diet by eating only half of the hamburger or whatever they eat from a food stand?

Asher

Peter Dexter

I am surprised he is so warmly dressed. Had no idea it is so cold there, presumably in Quetzaltenango. Looked it up though and see now why he was wearing such a warm coat. Lucky him with his cigarette. If you are not a regular smoker a cigarette with nicotine can produce an impressive "high".

Robert Watcher

I am surprised he is so warmly dressed. Had no idea it is so cold there, presumably in Quetzaltenango. Looked it up though and see now why he was wearing such a warm coat. Lucky him with his cigarette. If you are not a regular smoker a cigarette with nicotine can produce an impressive "high".

Yes very cold here in Quetzaltenango from early evening until early morning. Beautiful springlike days though, that for the locals still dictate sweaters, coats and scarves.

Robert Watcher

Superb photograph! What focal length did you use. Was it fully zoomed out?

Good think there is not rampant disease or he would get very sick!

Amazing how much food folk throw away. So women tend to diet by eating only half of the hamburger or whatever they eat from a food stand?

Asher

Thank you Asher. It is very powerful image for me. Sad in a lot of ways.

My focal length was 300mm in full frame equivalent. The man was moving and as result I shot with a higher shutter speed - generally I prefer 1/1200’th sec - but because it was late in the afternoon, I dropped the shutter speed to 1/800’th to freeze action and eliminate camera shake at that long focal length.

With the open aperture being f5.6, it necessitated an ISO setting of 6,400. A matter of content being far more important than ultimate image content. I was sitting on a bench looking down onto the tipped out lcd screen while resting the camera with lens fully extended, on my leg.

——-